BMW Werkz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all

i have a 1990 525i and it seems like whenever i go over a big bump i hear a loud bang or rattle and it sounds like its coming from my trunk or under the car in the back (and its even louder in the backseats) - only , theres nothing in my trunk...

it sounds pretty loud and im totally stumped as to what it is... does anyone have any ideas of what this could be?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Did you look in the spare tire well area? Mabye the spare isn't secured or something has slipped under the spare that is bouncing around. I had a golf ball in there that was driving me nuts. :screwy

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
k. thanks for the advice...

so i checked it, its tight.... nothing in there at all... Man this is crazy... and whats worse is its not all the time. grrrr...

anymore suggestions?

thanks again

·
Registered
7 Posts
i had a similar rattle coming from the rear left tire. come to find out it as missing the caliper springs. there should be two of them, a left and a right. my vehicle had none. my mechanic said that there is no problem if you drive without the springs, just get them put on when you replace your brake pads.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Sporky, did you check your muffler/exhaust fittings under the car? Rubber bushes/mounts could be broken or missing causing them to be loose and hit against the undercarriage.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for that bit of info CosmosBlack, i just got in from checking that out. Everything *looks* ok and if i push on it or bang on it i hear a few squeeks and small rattles , but i dont think there was anything loose enough to be making what im hearing. thanks for the suggestion though :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have an E34 M5 which had a similar sought of problem. After much investigation of suspension, I pulled the whole of the carpet out from the boot, only to find what I can only describe as a 'storage compartment'. In this were two spare vehicle jacks, and these had been making all the noise? Check it out?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts