BMW Werkz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my coolant light comes on and then turns off after a few minutes. Does this sound like a electric malfunction or does it mean that i have to add more coolant? Not sure if i'm low or not. LIght came on this morning and then off a few minutes thereafter. Thx

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Add coolant.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Originally posted by blackbmw330@Dec 3 2003, 01:05 PM
This happen to me before and I called the dealer and he told me that adding water was sufficient....
Yes, you can add water. But don't make a habit of it because you'll end up thinning out the mixture which could, over time, cause the radiator to rot and leak. Prestone has 50/50 mix of coolant and water (distilled) called Quick Fill. Runs like 5$ US a bottle (or so). Get that, top off your coolant, put the bottle in your trunk and use it when/if needed.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
this is becoming a common problem with newer bmw's. just add a little bit of distilled water (recommend no more than 2 cups) or get one of those coolant/water mixer as greendragon has mentioned.

i've had to do this once to mine just a couple of months ago and so far that was the only time.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Same here, and mines an e36.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Yes they do

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
:thumbs

·
Registered
729 Posts
careful with those mixtures. i'd buy the antifreeze form the dealer and mix 50:50 yourself with distilled h20. i do not trust aftermarket antifreeze (different ph, differnet anitcorrosion chemistries, you can screw up an alloy head and collant seals).

peter

1 - 12 of 12 Posts