BMW Werkz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:dunno

I have a 97 328i that gives a false "coolant level message" on the OBC.

This only occurs when I shut the engine off.
There are not leaks, the gauge operates at its normal position. When I start the car the system checks ok. It only occurs when I shut the engine off.

I've replaced the coolant level sensor twice. I've also check the problem with another OBC thinking that it was the OBC. It gave the same message.

I'm looking for suggestions??????

By the way, can a faulty radiator vent screw (plastic screw) cause this?

thanks

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
hmmm sounds like you might not have a prolem. try getting the code cleared if its that much of a problem. if youve changed all the parts the only other thing i can think of is a short in the wiring or the DME wont clear the code.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
ummm....you didn't say you put any coolant in.....maybe you are actually low....

·
Registered
392 Posts
i have that same problem, and my coolant level is fine, im gonna take it to the dealer soon, cuz i stopped at a stop sign today and my breaks squeaked :nope

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
yea my brakes are starting to squeak...

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I have the SAME problem....

My question is how do you know if you have enough coolant.... My resevoir is full when my engine is cold... is this normal???

It goes on when I start the car and when i turn it off...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am having the same problem. And when I was shopping for my car 5 out of the 6 cars I checked out did the same thing. The Brake light Circuit Failure and the Coolant Level message. So if figured that it sounds like a sensor problem. Because all the cars coolant levels were ok.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I had that same message right before my radiatior sprouted a leak. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
besure you don't have any air in the system that could be getting compressed allowing/forcing the coolant level in the resevoir lower than it shuold be. run it with the bleeder valve/hole open and add some fluid or be sure no air or bubbles come out...

hell maybe just fulsh the coolant system if it has been a while.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Where's the bleeder valve/hole? I'm sure I have air in my system. I get the message when I shut the car off. I check the coolant level and before I unscrew the cap, the level appears low. When I unscrew the cap, the level returns to normal. Will letting the air out of the bleeder valve solve this long-term or is it the same thing as unscrewing the cap? :dunno

1 - 10 of 10 Posts