BMW Werkz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I usually fill up my tank after I go 300 miles on it, which turns out to be just under 30mpg usually. But I'm at just over 300 miles and found out that I am running low on gas because I let my girlfriend drive my car for an hour so she can practice stick. I really don't want to run out of gas and couldn't get it before work, and I need to make it back home (there's a really cheap gas station right by my house). What speed on the highway should I maintain to get the gas mileage? I know I should stay under 70mph, but there was this tour bus going 75mph and I was drafting right behind him to save gas. I figured I was so close to him that I was getting over 50mpg, but I'm not really sure how that stuff works. But my car felt much more powerful behind the bus when I accelerated, it was great! So is it worth it to go slower to conserve gas or to draft behind a huge truck??

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Supposedly the speed limit (55) was put in place because you get the best gas mileage at that speed (if I remember correctly it was instated when the gas prices went through the roof in the 70's(?) or so).

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
yes green dragon that seems right. drafting a big vehicle is always a bad idea if you are too close. saves on gas mileage though because your engine doesnt have to work against 75 MPH winds.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
its the "sling shot" thingy that the nascar guys do, but then the nascars guys arnt gonna slam on the brakes to pull off for the next junction......

theres loads of other things you can do to conserve fuel.....

keep your windows shut (less wind resistance)
keep your car polished (less wind friction/resistance)
change sooner instead of close to the red line....
drive with lower Rpm's
get the bus :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
when going down hill keep the clutch on....roll down it no matter how long it takes :p

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by triggrhaapi@Aug 5 2003, 03:19 AM
according to the car's computer, I get best mileage (45mpg on a flat plain under light throttle with no turbo boost) at 75-80mph
that seems awfully fast to get optimum mpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Actually that sounds about right. The consumption rates on most modern cars doesn't go through the roof until well past 85. Most cars get fairly close to the same MPG at 85 as they do at 55.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts