BMW Werkz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

i am looking to buy a new cone shaped air filter, but i was wondering how the cheap ones (5 - 10$) on ebay filter air... are they safe for the engine or no?

Where is a good price to buy a higher quality one? what are some good / trusted brands?

thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
From my expirience I say it is not worth it. I have a neuspeed p-flow intake on my gti which is a k&n cone filter and a heat shield. On days when it rains some of the moisture I guesse gets on the filter and until it drys out, the engine doesn't run smoothly. If You really want to do something with Your filter i would say just instal k&n drop in filter that's it, but do not expet any noticible power gain....

·
Registered
990 Posts
What's the advantage of a cone filter?

·
Registered
315 Posts
first off, I JUST made a topic about this, you just have to [email protected]@K. Secondly, I have searched high and low, and only bavauto.com sells a good kit for e34. There have been conflicting stories, so I ordered one and when I get it I will post my findings. But, cones DO increase throttle response greatly, as on my old E30 it made spectacular difference.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read your post, and i posted in it. It wasnt about this specific topic, you were talking about the entire CAI kit. thats not what i want.

I was simply asking if the cheap filters are bad.

Also i dont want any noticeable power increase. Im just looking for something that will make the car have a little bit more aggressive sound at higher RPM - and i know that the cone filters and removal of the air boxes do that, but you have a good point about the filter being wet....

thanks guys.

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
there really shouldnt be a huge difference in filter to filter, quality is important especially with CAI versus the normal short intake with cone.
ive used a crappy intake on my CAI and it was fine, just maintain it properly and also do yourself a favor and buy the K&N recharger kit, it will work even though its not a k&n

·
Registered
990 Posts
would there be a bit of a difference going from reg filter to CAI on an e34?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
cheap air filters are usually constructed of paper.. you really want that shit tearing apart on WOT and goin down the intake?

its happened b4.. go big or go home its a bimmer were talkin about here.

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
Originally posted by CBA@Nov 27 2003, 03:02 PM
cheap air filters are usually constructed of paper.. you really want that shit tearing apart on WOT and goin down the intake?

its happened b4.. go big or go home its a bimmer were talkin about here.
ya but thats under FI. on a NA engine its not likely to happen unless your really sucking serious air

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
The paper filter might be OK but I prefer to use K & N. It's woth it to me to spend a few bucks more and know you got a quality product.

·
Registered
315 Posts
NOooooo!!! anything made for a honda shouldn't get NEar a bimmer. Just pay the money and get K&N. And againm its a BMW, treat it right.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol its actually a universal fit filter and there are about 100 listings of the same exact filter with a different car in the title, so i just picked one for an example.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
dude, go for quality.. i mean would you put honda wheels on a bimmer aswell? universal= cheap and will mostlikely fail..

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well universal in general does = cheap, but when your talking about cone air filters, theres not really any specifics, its just mouth size over the pipe. even K&N calls them universal air filters. I just can't seem to justify spending 38.99 on an AIR filter. Is there any other company that makes disposable cone air filters? <sigh>

1 - 15 of 15 Posts