BMW Werkz banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
i dont like it , sort of looks cheap, i bet the chrome will wear off in a month or two, also the filter looks crap. if anything buy it , hope for the finish to stay, and replace the filter with a K&N , also make yourself a heat shield

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well what would you suggest i get?

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
honestly your best bet is to make your own. that one that you linked does not go down to the brake duct so if thats what your looking to buy , and money is an issue may i suggest making your own and save yourself some $$

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't know where to start on making my own.....so i mean if somebody could help me out please. I really want to put a CAI on my car.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
PVC dude. 3 1/2 inches just look online im sure there are so DIY homemade instructions out there.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
their are lots of those PVC guides where you buy the piping and attach a filter at the end

·
Registered
878 Posts
dude...that DIY is really sweet. but if you don't have time or are not a rocket scientist, www.bavauto.com sells K&N filters and a heat sheild. i think the filter kit is $240 and the heat shield is $60. some people here appear to dislike bavauto.com but, what every tickles your pickle. :lol:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would def recommend the K&N filter Ive used both types of filters and for some reason the K&N seemed to do a little better than the cone filter! Try activeautowerks for the filter by itself. Id recommend investing the time to build the heatshield premade ones just seem a little expensive, when all you need is nice weather and a few hours!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hey I made mine with a 92' accord stock rubber intake and a aftermarket filter. it looks stock with exception of the filter...notice just a bit more pwr but not much...hey its kinda ghetto but it cost me only $30 bucks!! I would take pixs and post what I did but how do I post it on here so yall can see it?......also how are they gonna make a cold air intake for the IS? there is no room for piping etc. unless your gonna use small piping or drill a big hole for the piping to go down towards the ground.....also how do make a heatshield??? what material to use? anyhow (ASIO) that intake does look cheap..the finish will be alright but it looks like it will heat up easily...cuz I had someting like that and the intake got so hot even to touch...thats just my 2 cent though... :D :driving

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok....thx for your info :p I think i will try to make one......it will have to wait though......I just put it a new stereo and speakers......now i want to take my old speakers and deck and try to make a radio out of it.....i will take pics during the building of this :p

·
Registered
457 Posts
I search around and saw some heatshield pixs but what is it made of plastic? won't it melt/warp underhood or do they use aluminum...my friend made one out of aluminum for his 95' Supra..but wouldnt the aluminum get hot? OH what up how do we post pixs here? I have a digital cam etc. how to post it Here...i dunno???

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
i dont think plastic would be good. aluminum or stainless steel would be best.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I made a heatsheild etc. w/ghetto intake almost done with the heatsheild...I will post my ghetto work when done...or maybe not...too imbarrassed I can't spend the big $$$ like yall ballers I got a babygirl....but I'll try to post when someone teaches me how to post pixs here.....hmmmmmm NE1?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hey anyone...reguarding the air intake sensor insertion point . I notice it has a waffle like grill, the one just b4 the stock intake box etc. why is it there I was thinking of breaking that grill/waffle apart to allow more better airflow? what is that grill for and can I/should I break that part off? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? hmmm thanks...

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
uhh. how big is the mesh peices?

·
Registered
457 Posts
3" in diameter....all e36 have em know? its the hard plastic with the sensor on it for side or top....why is it there and it is restricting airflow..but is it okay to break?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

1 - 20 of 23 Posts