BMW Werkz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am driving a 328 IS. a mechanic told me that the clutch is releasing at the top of the pedal and that it is worn. does the clutch releasing at the top of the pedal mean that it is worn/about to go bye-bye :dunno ?

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
you can also try a power shift from 1st to 2nd. if worn the engine wont grab immediately and you can feel the clutch slipping

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
mine is almost gone and those are the symptoms...although i still got enough to power shift and chirp the tires :driving

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
the best way to tell when its almost gone is when you accelerate through the gears and when you redline each gear your speed is 10 miles slower than it should be. Or instead of power shifting from 1st to second power shift down from 3rd to 2nd. youll be able to tell better.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
i heard this a long time ago at bmwplanet, but try putting the car in 4th gear at a stop then quickly release the clutch and if the engine instantly stalls then ur clutch is probably in good shape but if theres some friction then the clutch is probably pretty worn.

·
Registered
497 Posts
You're definately nearing the end of the clutch's life. I wouldn't recommend doing any power shifting or clutch dumping right now unless you're planning on going ahead a replacing the clutch right away. Although each case is different, usually you can get a few more thousand miles out of one with easy driving. FYI: have a competent shop do the work and check the flywheel well. If it's scorched, you'll have problems. At minimum they should do a light scuff job on the surface.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts