BMW Werkz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 2000 328i (without sport package) with 40Kmiles. A 'clunk' noise comes from the rear of the car whenever I accelerate or brake. Almost sounds like the noise is coming from the trunk. I thought that it may have been one of the tools that weren't fastened on the trunk lid, but that wasn't the case. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

-Ingi

·
Registered
4 Posts
:driving I had this same problem. After changing nearly the entire underside of my car the BMW dealer finally discovered it was a of some kind of shroud on the transmission. I'll try to find the paperwork on it to see exactly what the part was. Hopefully it's listed.

Glenn

·
Registered
53 Posts
Originally posted by ingishi@Oct 17 2003, 11:26 AM
Hello. I have a 2000 328i (without sport package) with 40Kmiles. A 'clunk' noise comes from the rear of the car whenever I accelerate or brake. Almost sounds like the noise is coming from the trunk. I thought that it may have been one of the tools that weren't fastened on the trunk lid, but that wasn't the case. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

-Ingi
(Not quite) dead bodies?

·
Registered
4 Posts
:D Sorry I took so long to get back. The invoice says there is a difference in the clearance between trans. outshaft and trans. output flange. They installed an output flange repair kit. It was a warranty item so I don't have any idea of cost. Hope this helps.

Glenn

·
Registered
434 Posts
Originally posted by gpjones@Jan 15 2004, 02:59 PM
:D Sorry I took so long to get back. The invoice says there is a difference in the clearance between trans. outshaft and trans. output flange. They installed an output flange repair kit. It was a warranty item so I don't have any idea of cost. Hope this helps.

Glenn
Bingo! The output flange on the trasmisson needs to be replaced with an updated part. Symptoms include a clunk noise when going from decel to accel, and a clunk right before you come to a complete stop.
Before a bulletin came out for this, I changed the diff in a car, and had to take it right back out........ :banghead

·
Registered
157 Posts
Originally posted by TECH+Jan 16 2004, 12:12 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TECH @ Jan 16 2004, 12:12 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-gpjones@Jan 15 2004, 02:59 PM

Glenn
Bingo! The output flange on the trasmisson needs to be replaced with an updated part. Symptoms include a clunk noise when going from decel to accel, and a clunk right before you come to a complete stop.
Before a bulletin came out for this, I changed the diff in a car, and had to take it right back out........ :banghead [/b][/quote]
My steptronic was reprogramed after I took the tech out for a test drive. In SD, the car would have a sharp "thud" immediately before coming to a complete stop on very rapid decel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
is this problem only on the automatics?? i have a manual, and i've been trying to figure out a similar noise coming from the rear. it's not really a clunk noise, but more of a series of faint rapid thuds when i take off from first gear. when i try to slip the clutch a little more when i take off from 1st, i can manage to avoid creating that noise. is this the same problem?? i was hoping to find something loose underneath the car that was causing that problem. so far i've yet to find that part.

·
Registered
434 Posts
It's only the automatics.
Note that the reprogramming of the egs modules is for shift quality/noises, the output flange repair is for a clunk caused by excessive slack in that area of the trans. 2 different problems.

Edawg, I'm not sure of what you are describing. Maybe your clutch is chattering?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts