BMW Werkz banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Transmission is freaking out even more now when it is wet out, doing different things as well as the old. Today I was driving and the transmission light came on (ABS and traction control were on like usual when it is wet for a while). So before i would be in D and it wouldn't shift out of 2nd gear unless I went down into S 3 and back up to D pretty quick. Yesterday the dash would show it randomly kick down from D into S 2 but after a few shifts up to N and back to D it would go back, today it was stuck in S 2 the entire time and the the transmission light came back on.........then my steering got drifty and there were odd vibrations.....flat tire. Oh how wonderful that was.

·
Millions of them.
14,879 Posts
Damn shame that pretty much all e38s and e39s develop those sorts of issues. :( Beautiful cars, but not for the faint of heart and/or a shallow pocket.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am distressed about it, but oh well. The flat really pissed me off, the jack point fell off when it was raised and dropped the car down with the wheel off. Not happy about that. The tire was melted, so not a good thing... Oh well. Life sucks some times. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, it should be towed by tomorrow to a guy to look at. He is the best I can find near me, and my insurance will pay $50 per tow bill, so it should be free to him. He is an ex-ford service manager but has a lot of experience with BMW, Audi, and MB. Highly recommended by one of my mechanics. So fingers crossed.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks ws. I can only hope. I love this car and I was excited about getting the rocker panel fixed and the sunroof fixed, but we will see.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sometimes i realy want to hate my Bm'r but just can't do it,get realy pissed off when it's full of shit now and then...but still love it:)

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I love mine to death, I loved my E34 even more(first car, saved life, etc). I would hate to do it but my family's financial situation isn't at its prime and if this costs to much or it starts to cost too much too often I will have to part way with BMWs for six years.

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
So the transmission problem only happens when its wet ??

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, Marti, only when it is wet. It started out being the alarm system that freaked when it was wet, then came to the abs and tc lights along with not shifting from second to third, and now this.

And thanks johnny and gareth, I am trying to be positive about it getting fixed at least.

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
Check the E box under the hood hasent got any water in it (where the ECU's live) Black box, apart from that its sounding like a bad ground..it may also be down to a bad battery or alternator.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can't check anything at this point, I am 120 miles from it. Hopefully the guy who it is getting towed to can just fix it and I can be done with all this. Thanks for the info though Marti.

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
Also worth checking the selector switch just under the shift....and if the guy has diagnostics then it should show what the problem is, I have heard several times of water getting in the E-box so that a good start especially as you say it happens when wet, maybe you ought to point the chap in that direction and save you a bit of labour costs,also If the sunroof drain tubes have been damaged and they leak there is a good chance they leak over the general module inside the car...behind the glove box (well I think it is, it is on mine, but im RHD).

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will make sure he knows this. My sunroof is popped down on the back left and doesn't work, so that could be it. I will see what happens.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay, update time. The alternator was the culprit, causing the transmission crap I guess? The speed sensor on the front left wheel was bad, causing the ABS and traction control to no work, and the wheel bearing was bad in(in the same wheel I believe). Coming out of this just shy of $800, new tires that I ordered before the crap hit the fan last weekend are going to be just shy of $500.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts