BMW Werkz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just used the Mother's clay bar system. My M3 looks really nice now that i am finished. I plan to do my 944S next, it is HORRIBLY oxidized and in need of a paint job, but when i tried a spot on it with the clay bar and wax it looked pretty damn good.

Thumbs up for Mother's!

·
Registered
448 Posts
A second vote for clay bar...not sure how it works, but it's great!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I haven't tried a clay bar but as I said in other posts, Gel-gloss (purchased at home Depot or other hardware store) appears to do the same thing. I've used Gel-gloss for over 10 years on 6 different cars and it works great by hand or with a buffer for removing light to medium oxidation or light scratches. It's cheap and easy to use and works fine for clear coats.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Gel-gloss coats the car,like wax. Clay bar actually lifts off oxidation and pollution on car paint to make it feel factory new. AFTER you clay bar, apply your favorite wax treatment (I personally use McGuire's 3-step wax proces)...man does it look great after all that...of course I'm usually too tired from all of the work to appreciate all of the work! :naughty

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Gel-gloss cleans the paint at the same time same as the clay bar. It'll give you a smooth as glass finish also. You can apply your favorite wax also to give it a deeper shine.

BTW, how much does the Mother's 3 step system cost?

·
Registered
990 Posts
how much does this gel-gloss cost and is it easily applied? Where can i get it... i would like to try it

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Click here to view Home Depot on-line catalog.

I get it at my local Home Depot. It cost around 6 bucks for a nice sized 16 oz. purple can. I use the paste, not the spray. The spray is good for ultra-fine cleaning and usually doesn't get enough material on the paint.

You can also control the amount of removal by using a damp to very damp cloth and varying the amount of pressure you use. I've used it with a buffer with great results. The total time spent really depends on how much oxidation you have. I use No.7 white polishing compound when the oxidation is heavy (with a buffer or manually).

Be sure to use it in the shade and/or on surfaces not hotter than about upper 70's.
Try it in an inconspicuous place first.

Let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I'll have to find it... Maybe i'll go tomarrow...

Thanks

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Any luck on finding Gel-gloss?
If so, how did it work?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Havent gotten a chance to get it.. My money is very tied up in the moment

·
Registered