BMW Werkz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally used my clay bar, and BOY does it make the car SMOOTH. I was hoping that it would remove the remnants of a few old bugs left over from the previous owner (I know, I know, you have to get them off right away), but it didn't.

What should I use to get off the old bugs? Turtle wax Bug/Tar Remover?

Also, I spent about 10 minutes on my hood, does that sound about right???

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Try "Gel-gloss" for old bugs. This is a very gentle product not specifically for cars sold at Home Depot. It can be used for general pre-wax cleaning and will make your paint like glass.

If that doesn't work, try No 7 White Polishing Compound" (not the heavy duty). This is a little more abrasive than the Gel-gloss but won't harm a clear coat if you don't grind it in. Gel-gloss can be used after No 7.

I use both of these products successfully on a regular basis, either by hand or with a buffer. They will not harm a clear coat if applied properly. If you use a buffer, practice on another car first.

For really stubborn bugs, road tar and other sticky stuff (interior/exterior) try "goo-gone" or "goof-off", both from Home Depot or your local hardward store. This is in liquid form so don't spill on anything. This is not a polishing product so just wipe it on and rub gently for awhile. You might want to try this first since you already went over the area. This is an oil based product so if you use it on your interior the residue will probably need to be cleaned. Try it on an inconspicuous spot first.

You'll need to wax after each of these products is applied. I use Blue Coral Carnuba or McGuires wax.

Note: if the insect residue has etched the paint, you may need to use touch-up to cover it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I claybar almost everyday at work. Depending on how dirty the paint was and how mild/severe your clay bar was, I'd say 10 minutes was about right. Make sure you follow up with a glaze and a finishing wax. As for the bugs, I'd recommend a cut polish or compound, and then a heavy dose of glazing wax.

Good Luck

-Egg Farm

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Egg Farm, are you a Detailer? I'm curious what you charge for things (not that I'm soliciting...lol) like serious detaling a car...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts