BMW Werkz banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i know dinan is one of the leading aftermarket dealers out there.. but i have heard some not so good things about there products being expensive and not so helpful.. any insight would be good.

· Registered
1,493 Posts
i know dinan is one of the leading aftermarket dealers out there.. but i have heard some not so good things about there products being expensive and not so helpful.. any insight would be good.
expensive YES... but if it's just the chip, there are copies on the market that perform THE SAME as D*nan minus the expense. Just like signature clothing, you are paying for the name more than the product itself.

The base of the EEPROM chip is universally the same. It's a silicon IC manufactured in china, whether it is D*nan or generic. The program inside of the chip; is in most likelihood the same as an original D*nan, or similar competitor.

WHY? because generic producers/copiers do not have the R&D resources to produce their own "maps". They COPY the "mapping" of D*nan or similar program and mass produce it. In effect, their overhead is cheaper and they can sell for peanuts. Quality of copies in electronic chips is PERFECT(the same as quality of CD copies, even if copied several hundred times over).

I do not know what D*nan's cost is to make a chip - I do know that it costs about $15.00 to make a perfect copy of the D*nan chip :) SO THERE!

The contention of "not so helpful" is relative. The basics are that your engine must be in decent shape for the chip to perform it's job. It is to say that no matter how many thousand $ you spend on a chip... if the engine is sh*tty; performance is equally sh*tty.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.