BMW Werkz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 328IS with 37,000 miles. The car is practically new. While driving last week the check engine light came on. I know that these light really dont mean a thing, but in the owners manual it say that it could be due to something with one of the electronic emmission controls. Should i bother taking it to the dealer? Im sure there is nothing wrong with the car and I dont feel like wasting my money at the dealership. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem with my 97 318ti at 55,000 miles last year. I brought it to the dealer (I can't stand looking at these lights on my dash) and found that it was my O2 sensor that was bad. $350 later and the O2 sensor was replaced and the light went out. You can drive the car with a bad O2 sensor, but your fuel efficiency will suffer. And, if you have to be tested for emissions, you may not pass.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I would get it replaced immediately, it's not hard to do it yourself either...I made the mistake you are about to make when I got my 92 325i and I drove it for about 6-7 months with the check engine light on, and now the 02 sensor has completely stopped working and has fouled a couple if not more of my plugs....I am fixing it tomorrow, oh btw my gas mileage sucks bad with the 02 sensor out! So get it fixed asap!

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
its funny because usually with cars having the check engine light comming on its usually no big problem . but with BMW's it could seriously be anything from minor to extreme (from 02 sensor to miss firing on 3 cylinders) get it checked.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts