BMW Werkz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when i idle for longer than a minute my check engine light comes on. I checked the flash codes and it gave me 1222 (which is the lambda control 1) i'm led to believe. I when to flowmaster and had my O2 sensors checked and they said it was all fine. Now i'm stumped. I replaced the motronic about 100 miles ago but it was doing this before i changed it. open to more ideas!

· Registered
125 Posts
Lambda Control 1 (1222)

Here are some possibilities according to the info found here

Ted's House -- Ted's Bimmer Pages, Fault Codes

This code is stored when the DME detects excessive deviations in the air-fuel mixture (too rich or too lean) for longer than 10 seconds. Possible causes: Fuel tank ran empty, Incorrect Fuel Pressure, Injector valve defective or coked, Engine Temperature Sensor defective, Secondary air leak, Fuel evaporation control system defective, Air Flow Meter defective and/or the combustion is being disturbed by mechanical failure (Spark plugs,compression, intake/exhaust valves, ...etc.)

· Registered
376 Posts
Build a list with all the issues that romeomike wrote on his post and patiently start eliminating one by one. If you don't have one yet, get a bentleys manual for the E30. It is a blessing to work on a car when you have one.

Does it do anything else other than the check engine light? Like sputter or something?

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rough idle and a slight hesitation when i get on it on the line. Other than that i noticed more power after i changed the motronic. It used to bounce up and down 500 rpms when i stepped on the gas and got off real quick. It doesn't do that anymore. just the rough idle and the light. I'm currently waiting for the air filter to dry. cleaned it just in case. no visible cracks, all the hoses are connected. Luckily no smog till sept.

· Registered
489 Posts
all I know is on my 1988 325i the check engine light will turn ITSELF off once the issue is fixed...no reset necessary. one time it was low fuel, damn girl ran it out and left it for me, another time it was I had too much water in the coolant loop as I had driven it in the New Mexico desert and then brought it back to Chicagos' harsh winter and the coolant wasn't right, must have been pissing the ECU off due to longer coolant warm up time....changed that to anti-freeze and the check engine light went out on it's own again. that's what i know. good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.