BMW Werkz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i tried doing a search on this subject but the seach database seems to be down at the moment...

anyway, given that bmw specialized mechanic shops (non dealers) charge an arm and a leg for merely changing the oil for our cars, i was wondering how difficult it is to change the oil myself. is the oil filter and drain plug easily accessible on the E46?? i've changed oils on japanese cars before but never on a bmw, so i just want to get an idea of how much hassle is involved before i endeaver on the task...

also, are bmw oil filters highly recommended or can i just purchase an aftermarket one from the local auto parts store??

btw, if i change the oil myself, can i reset the oil change counter myself as well??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by EDawg@Dec 10 2003, 09:53 PM
i tried doing a search on this subject but the seach database seems to be down at the moment...

anyway, given that bmw specialized mechanic shops (non dealers) charge an arm and a leg for merely changing the oil for our cars, i was wondering how difficult it is to change the oil myself. is the oil filter and drain plug easily accessible on the E46?? i've changed oils on japanese cars before but never on a bmw, so i just want to get an idea of how much hassle is involved before i endeaver on the task...

also, are bmw oil filters highly recommended or can i just purchase an aftermarket one from the local auto parts store??

btw, if i change the oil myself, can i reset the oil change counter myself as well??
I'm interested in the answer to this question also.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Go to Jiffy Lube. They'll do it in 10 minutes, for 70% less than a BMW specialized shop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts