BMW Werkz banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Castrol is the recomended oil for BMW. In fact they make the BMW High
Performance Oil for the dealers. I've just read on some web sites that Castrol
Syntec is not 100% synthetic. Has anyone heard this? Are we being misled??

·
Registered
497 Posts
To the best of my knowledge (i'm not in the oil business), Castrol syntec is actually a "blend", and not a full synthetic. Pick up a bottle and read it sometime, I believe it mentions that. It would be worth some reasearch though, and would make a good technical forum.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
welcome aboard moto!! B)

yes, castrol is the supplier of the synthetic based oil for bmw's. although, i do recommend you get the BMW High Performance Synthetic.

here are the available grades of castrol syntec....

SAE 5W-20: exceeds the Ford Specification WSS-M2C153-H and the service fill requirements for Ford and Honda vehicles where an SAE 5W-20 motor oil is specified. It also exceeds the most stringent fuel economy and fuel economy retention requirements of ILSAC GF-3. It provides a higher level of thermal stability, reduces harmful deposits and delivers superior wear and cold weather protection.
SAE 5W-30: provides a higher level of protection against viscosity breakdown than conventional oils. It exceeds the API service SL, SJ and SH, the requirements of ILSAC GF-3 API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils and meets Energy Conserving standards.
SAE 10W-30: meets the toughest industry standards for volatility protection. It delivers maximum viscosity protection, provides a higher level of thermal stability, reduces harmful deposits and provides superior wear protection.
SAE 10W-40: second most popular grade. Meets the toughest industry standards for volatility protection. It delivers maximum viscosity protection, provides a higher level of thermal stability, reduces harmful deposits and provides superior wear protection.
SAE 20W-50: meets the toughest industry standards for volatility protection and provides a higher level of thermal stability and provides an added level of synthetic protection versus conventional oils.
Castrol Syntec Blend Truck, SAE 15W-40: Meets the toughest industry standards for volatility protection. It delivers maximum viscosity protection, provides a higher level of thermal stability, reduces harmful deposits and provides superior wear protection. Carries the spec for API CH-4.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I prefer to use Mobil 1 Synthetic. Can't go wrong with Mobil 1.

BMW probably uses Castrol because of the deal they struck. Kind of like Ferrari recommending Shell.

·
Registered
1 Posts
:driving Castrol is not a bad oil, but is not 100% synthetic. I prefer Voll. It is made in Germany for high performance engines, and it is recommended by BMW. I will put nothing but the best in my bimmers. Voll oil is not cheap ( a quart of this stuff will set you back $6.95 ) but again neither is BMW. The minute I use this oil in my engines I noticed the difference in acceleration and power.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
i use lubro moly

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Originally posted by Angel54@Jul 28 2003, 08:39 PM
:driving Castrol is not a bad oil, but is not 100% synthetic. I prefer Voll. It is made in Germany for high performance engines, and it is recommended by BMW. I will put nothing but the best in my bimmers. Voll oil is not cheap ( a quart of this stuff will set you back $6.95 ) but again neither is BMW. The minute I use this oil in my engines I noticed the difference in acceleration and power.
And do you have a connection/link to this oil?? I've never heard of it either..

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I use Olive oil because I'm Italian ... or Mobil1 5W-30 when the mood suits me.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Originally posted by AZ325Ci+Jul 30 2003, 08:37 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (AZ325Ci @ Jul 30 2003, 08:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-GreenDragon@Jul 30 2003, 04:04 PM
extra virgin olive oil, i hope :p [/b][/quote]
But of course! :alky

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Originally posted by GreenDragon+Jul 30 2003, 05:51 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (GreenDragon @ Jul 30 2003, 05:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 30 2003, 08:37 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-GreenDragon
@Jul 30 2003, 04:04 PM

extra virgin olive oil, i hope :p
But of course! :alky [/b][/quote]
:beerbuds

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Originally posted by Ski+Jul 29 2003, 05:29 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ski @ Jul 29 2003, 05:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Angel54@Jul 28 2003, 08:39 PM
And do you have a connection/link to this oil?? I've never heard of it either.. [/b][/quote]
What is wrong with you people!!!!! :eek:uch :eek:uch :eek:uch :eek:uch

Bavauto sells it it's made by lubro moly

:wave

·
Registered
729 Posts
hey:

last i checked: castrol syntec 5w50 variety is fully syhtetic. however, it has a fairly high ash content. the also add zinc (good for bearings), but unless you drive it at 6k rpm all day, it is not doing any good.

mobil 1 was recently reformulated to have better viscosity modifiers. i am speaking a little out of my arse here, but i'd prefer mobil...

i cannot comment on the catastrophic main bearing failures in m3, bmw says it has something to do with too low viscosity (i think they are bullshitting, any synthetic has phenomenal shear properties).

anyway, mobil 1 5w30 is in my crankcase.

peter

p.s. someone brought out that lubro-moly synthetic: i know anecdotally it is really good shit. same for redline, they have very good scca reputation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Castrol is the recomended oil for BMW. In fact they make the BMW High
Performance Oil for the dealers. I've just read on some web sites that Castrol
Syntec is not 100% synthetic. Has anyone heard this? Are we being misled??

The Castrol recommended it the 5w-30 European blend, here is the official list from the BMW website
BMW North America

·
Registered
497 Posts
My understanding is that the Castrol blend that BMW sells is different than what is available here in the States, and it's higher quality.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My understanding is that the Castrol blend that BMW sells is different than what is available here in the States, and it's higher quality.
This is what I heard to as of here in Canada. I'll ask my rep at Edm BMW what info he can provide me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This is what he sent me....

"Castrol, the supplier of the High Performance Synthetic Oil SAE 5W-30, is now producing this oil in North America to ensure supply to the growing demand. The oil color may appear to be lighter due to different additive pack and base stocks used, however the performance specifications remain the same. It is fully compatible with other stock of the familiar amber color.

BMW recommends the use of BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil SAE 5W-30 or Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil on all models as outlined below whenever a service is necessary to avoid engine damage."

Now he just sent either what is off their in store info or off the website. The list of models he didn't send me. This is BMW Canada though, but I would assume it would be the same for the US as well.

·
Registered
156 Posts
6.95 is dirt cheap. Mobil 1 runs 11.00 and Royal Purple a tad higher. Amsoil runs 12.00 per quart.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts