BMW Werkz banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you're all thinking porsche yea whats there to compare, but seriously, in my school one kid has a Carrera 4S and a few others have M3's. They race for fun sometimes, and I see them coming in pretty close. The M3 has more Horsepower, however the Porsche has more torque and 4 Wheel Drive. What does everyone think on this comparison???

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I'd think the M3 could take the C4S.

I think is exactly why a lot of us would reccomend against you getting an M3.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Id take a M3 over a Carrera 4S, not just preformance but also the looks of the car.
There are way to many porshes where I live.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i love my M3 just as much as the next guy, but we're talking Carrera 4s here, not just a plain old Carrera. I would have to go with the Carrera.

·
Registered
161 Posts
This is a tough comparison do to price. Remember guys the 4s is about a 90,000 dollar car. An M3 equipped with the s54 engine will be right there in performance. Again proof of how good the M3 really is. I think it would be all about the driver. Hey we even have a back seat and an engine that does not sound like a can full of rocks on cold start up. The 4s is an awsome car but how would the M3 perform if you put 30K more in it? It would not even be close. The M3 is truley a remarkable car.

2003 S4 Vehicle layout
Rear engine, awd, 2-door, 2-pass
Engine 3.6L F-6, DOHC, 4 valves/cyl
Hp @ rpm 315 @ 6800
Torque @ rpm 273 @ 4250
Transmission 6-speed manual
0-60 mph, sec 4.6

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
well it would be really hard to do anymore performance stuff to the current engine. if you threw an extra 30k in there it would involve putting an m5 engine in there. then there would be no question of who would be quicker. ive driven and ridden in both the 4s and m3 and it would definately come down to the drivers

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Originally posted by powerm@Dec 23 2003, 02:37 PM
it comes down to the driver, did u read anything?
most things come down to the driver. but i think the carerra is a better car overall

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have a buddy that has a 4s. I have the 04 M3. When it warms up I will go over and see him, see if I can get a little competition going. I was 15 the first time I took a car down a drag strip. Lets just say I've made a few passes over the years. I'll see what his 4s has got. I hope he has his wallett with him. :naughty

·
Registered
12 Posts
A 2004 BMW E46 M3 equipped with an SMG II gearbox will give that 4S such a work out, it won't make it to the other end of the track. Yet still, the 2003 GT3 will show the M3 how to play hard. The 2004 E60 M5, however, is another story...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts