BMW Werkz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI GUYS GREAT SITE, I AM NEW OWNER OF 2004 325i WOULD LIKE TO KNOW BEST METHOD OF PROTECTING BLACK DASH FROM UV RAYS ETC WITHOUT CREATING A DUST MAGNET, HAVE USED ARMORALL IN THE PAST BUT IT TENDS TO BE A BIT OILY THANKS FOR ANY HELP,THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR TIPS AND TRICKS VERY INFORMATIVE.

·
Registered
878 Posts
hey there,
welcome. i like to use meguiar's gold class dash cleaner. does a great job on the black surface. have fun!!

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
i use mothers products on the inside of my car meguirs on the outside. welcome to the forums.
no caps locks please.

·
Registered
15 Posts
try some vinylex or 303aerospace. they're both awesome for any vinyl or plastic or leatherette. by the way, when buying an interior protectant, uv protection doesn't mean squat unless you have a convertible because uv rays can't go through glass. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Is that true, UV not going through glass?? I thought that's what made your car so hot inside in the summer...

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
get a dash protector cover thing or get one of those big things you put behind your windshield if your worried about fading the black

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
UV does go through glass. That's why you can buy eye glasses/sun glasses with UV A & B protection for your eyes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks ! i'll try the vinylex or the 303 aerospace.
i cleaned my dashboard with armor all, worked good but will try
your suggestion. :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have black leather also and am worried about it for the summertime. Right now I use Meguiar's Natural Shine Rubber and Vinyl Protectant. It gives me a glossy shine for my tires. But on the vinyl interior it gives more of a flat response (which is what I want), unlike Armorall which leaves a glossy, yet greasy finish. I think the best thing you can get is what someone mentioned earlier - the insert that goes behind the windshield. I believe BMW sells them in the accessories catalog for about $50.

-Josh

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Originally posted by Fangs@Dec 28 2003, 07:44 PM
Is that true, UV not going through glass??  I thought that's what made your car so hot inside in the summer...
UV is the main cause of fading, IR is main cause of heat, but just about any EM radation will cause some form of heat. Thats why those really nice sunblocker things that people put under their windshields in parking lots are reflective, they reflect the light back out of the car so nothing inside the car absorbs the EM radation, causing stuff inside the car to heat up, and thus, causing the air inside the car to heat up as well.
I dont like armorall either... I'll only use that on tires anyways. It tends to make my dash look WAY too shiny, slippery and icky. I've heard armorall is bad for it too but I'll let somone else explain that because I don't know much about it.

·
Registered
560 Posts
from what i hear, armor all = silicon = bad

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
i use this stuff that i get from my friends detail shop... its purple, and i dont know the name, but i detailed my car about 5 weeks ago, and the dash still shines like it does when i put the stuff on. Ill ask for the name of the product

·
WOT in Reverse
3,441 Posts
Woobie, you are a smart man...err...woman....umm......you are a smart woobie. you are the only other person on this forum that i have seen mention that name. I am a lexol (inside) and zymol (outside) freak and would use nothing else on the indside and out. B)

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Originally posted by jllphan@Apr 20 2004, 01:26 PM
Woobie, you are a smart man...err...woman....umm......you are a smart woobie. you are the only other person on this forum that i have seen mention that name. I am a lexol (inside) and zymol (outside) freak and would use nothing else on the indside and out. B)
heheheh im a smart man :)

yeah lexol is the only thing i use inside my car. plus, i love the little orange bottle :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts