BMW Werkz banner

car wouldnt stay running...?

4K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  P.is.coleman 
#1 ·
i just bought a 98 328i with 167,xxx miles, and i was gettin ready to leave for work and it woldnt stay running, it would start but then it would die instantly... it was odd b/c i had to move the car like 20 min earlier so my wife could get outa the driveway... i took apart most of the intake to see if maybe it had something to do with it, everything looked fine... so i started the car and gave it some gas so keep it running... i did that for about 20 seconds or so. then the car ran fine... i assumed it was something with the fuel system like bad injectors or something. then as i was driving to work i noticed the check engine light was on... when i was stopped at a red light i turned the car on and off, then after 4 times the light turned off..

has this happend to anyone else? and is this a common issues with these cars? also what is most likely the cause of this? i kno these cars are prone to having issues with the air intake and i think with the idle control valve.. any suggestions?

#3 ·
Should have left the check engine light on. If it does this agian and the light comes on, put a scanner on it.

#9 ·
In most cases yes, but I had a similar problem a few weeks back when my CCV completely collapsed. Not only could my car barely idle but I had some white smoke coming out of the back. CCV's are a common annoyance on some BMW engines because not only do they freeze during the winter (like mine used to) but they sometime won't open and essentially chokes the engine to death (not literally though). I've had my car physically stall at a red light when it was almost 0 degress F last winter and it idled erratically beforehand. No coolant leakage BTW.

#12 ·
It's possible, your problem sounds similar to mine but it's not gauranteed to be the same thing. Before anything else I think giving the MAF sensor and ICV before changing anything else might be a good place to start. When the idle control valve get dirty on these cars it can cause erratic idling and stalling as well. Cleaning the MAF will allow the sensor to read more accurately. If these don't work then you can start looking elsewhere.

I suggested the CCV first because your problem sounded suspiciously like mine a few weeks back. The CCV is normally mounted on the intake manifold somewhere, usually near the rear of the engine.

is ccv the old pcv?
CCV=PCV

#16 ·
if i wuz you...

New car and no known previous history:

I would start be creating my own history. Do the basics... TUNE-UP. compression check, check plug condition and specs, wires, inspect all fluids and replace as you deem necessary. Pay close attention to change of the air & oil filters; in your case, the fuel filter.

While the plugs are out, take note of the color of the electrodes. Wet or Black=too rich; Brown/gray=normal; White or beige brown=lean. electrode colors help to tell you where to probe.

All that being done. Fuel pressure check is in order to check integrity of your fuel pump.

If it still cuts out... fuel pump relay, ECU relay(in that order).

You can help yourself by trying to discern how the vehicle cuts out. If it cuts out like burbling downwards while cutting -off, that is a fuel issue. Cutting off like when u turn the key off... that is an electrical issue. :)

Take note also of the way it idles. too high(what rpm)? too low(what rpm? erratic(what rpm range)?... these are indicators that will tell us a fuel mix prob and how u describe these in writing will be how accurate we can pinpoint your problem.

Other weaknesses of bimmers = corrosion in connector terminals; and crankshaft sensor grounding when engine heats up. Rule that out for now until you have done all of the above.

Good Luck.

#18 ·
Stalling issues

My '98 328i had the same issue.... went out to go to work this Monday, started the car and shut it off a few seconds later to run back inside the house to grab my cell phone. When I returned to the car it started and immediately stalled. It did this repeatedly.... Had it towed the shop and the mechanic found two plugs soaked with fuel. Swapped the entire set of plugs and she runs like a champ.

Maybe an alternative to those who cleaned the ICV and are having further problems.

-Hope this helps -

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.