BMW Werkz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how would i go about hooking car subs and amp (2 10" jlw0s and jl 250/1 amp) to my home stereo? i know i need a car battery or is there some way to hook the amp directly to the wall?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just hook it up the same way you would inna car....

Except for power source.. you would need a ac/dc converter
Right?

To go from 110V to 12V

Or use a 12Volt battery just hook up a charger to it?
Be careful of the toxic fumes though, that emit when your charging...

Question..... WHY???

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have my old system sitting in my garage and theres nothin better than some boom in my room haha. if i got a converter would i still have to worry about the fumes?

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
You could plug the amp directly into the wall as long as you had a 12V DC converter, thus eliminating the battery need.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Ever dealt with computer power supplies?
Some assembly required, but it'd save you money if your serious about doing this.
Pick up a few power supplies (say, a couple 450W) and wire the 12v rails (the yellow wires) to the amp. Turn the supplies on and there ya go. You can look up how to hotwire an ATX power supply to turn on without a motherboard, it's easy.
Depending on the amp's class, you probably need at LEAST 200W over what the amp produces. You most definately want to put a cap in the circuit to ease the load on the supplies if you intend on doing this for a long time. Don't cheep out and try to get away with using less power supply power than you need. You could kill the ones you cheeped out with, costing you even more money.
This isn't a cheep project by the way, good supplys that actually put out 400+W run for about 40$
If you have a class A or AB amp, you are going to need a lot of juice to run it correctly as those are some of the least efficent amps out there.

Power supplys = no fumes
Sealed lead acid battery = no fumes, it's sealed.
Capaciter = no fumes, sealed
Wall current (in US) = 120V 60hz AC
Car battery = 12.2V DC

If you want more detail, I can describe the steps in detail of what to do to wire it up.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Yes, use a computer powersupply, however dont expect it last too long. Ive had that setup for a while with 2 JL 12's and a 600w amp.

Just jumper the turn on (green) to a ground on an ATX power supply and run a wire from yellow to +12v, a short wire from +12 to remote and a wire from ground to ground.

easy deal. the amp will enver be able to put out the same kind of power that it can in a car though. I think a 450 w power supply is capable of at max 20 amps and you raverage sub amp consumes a minimum of 35. i can go into detail about how many amps it will draw and at what voltage if you told me how much power it puts out and at what ohm load you plan on running the speakers.

good luck

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Just get an AC/DC converter, hook the amp to the converter, plug the converter into the wall, and turn the radio on. No need to jumper anything, or risk frying something. You can get the converter at Radio Shack.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
You need multiple computer power supplys for this to work correctly. Wire the 12V and ground rails in parallel. Grab a couple 500 watter's and a riding lawnmower battery (or better yet a capacitor) to stick in-line and you will be alright.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts