BMW Werkz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed lately that my car is burning oil....i can smell it...and then my friend told me the other day he thought my car was burning oil....some white smoke out of the exhaust.....what usually causes burning of oil....failed cylinder, bad rings, head gasket....how can i check these things to....

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump!!1

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
check compression on each cylinder with a compression test. This is done by removing a sparkplug one at a time, and screwing in a compression tester, turning the engine over by turning the key without starting it, and it will give you a correct psi level that your cylinders are operating at. check in the manual or on here for safe levels, and if they are below the limits, your rings are bad and are allowing blow by (oil to enter the compression chamber and it is burning). if you need more help, post, and i'll give you a more step-by-step set of instructions. hope it helps.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, I can do a compression test when school starts again...also, i was thinkin about checkin my valve cover gasket...i heard that could be a problem...i need to check my plugs too and see if there is any oil in there....and doesn't blowby cause backfire usually...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Originally posted by bimmerfan620@Dec 21 2003, 05:40 PM
check compression on each cylinder with a compression test. This is done by removing a sparkplug one at a time, and screwing in a compression tester, turning the engine over by turning the key without starting it, and it will give you a correct psi level that your cylinders are operating at. check in the manual or on here for safe levels, and if they are below the limits, your rings are bad and are allowing blow by (oil to enter the compression chamber and it is burning). if you need more help, post, and i'll give you a more step-by-step set of instructions. hope it helps.
what compression is normal for M50 engine? I've tested mine it's 12.5-13 bar

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I am really not sure on the exact compression numbers, I have not actually needed to do any tests on my car, and I haven't picked up the manual on CD yet. Ask Furious, he is the golden boy to know this since he works at a shop.. :thumbs

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
i think normal compression is suppose to be 10:1 but ill look into that further tommorow, i completely forgot.. now depending on how hard you are on your car, plus the amount of miles, plus what your regular maintainace schedule is , it all amount to excessive engine wear and... im assuming that your friend saw the smoke when you were racing or hard on the car? if so then i may be quite normal.

but before all that. post your milage and stuff.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't worry about it....it was just my tires....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts