BMW Werkz banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched all over the forum (even the faq about lifting your hood with no access to the interior of the car)
I have the following problem: My battery is empty and the lock on the driver's side isn't working and the door on the other side doesn't have a lock (you can only "beep" it open with the key), now I can't get into my car.
I have tried to go through the trunk but I can't get the rear seats down from the back.
Now i'm trying to remove one of the grills, maybe this way i can get the hood open and my battery recharged.
Does anybody know how to remove the kidney grills on an 1995 (e36) 318is? these grills are hard tot take off (don't wanna break them)or is there an other solution for my problem (Without seriously damaging the car)

Serious help wanted!!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My battery is under the hood, i know because I have replaced it once
I can't have 2 batteries, can I??

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the battery was in the back my problem would be solved :D an i would be :driving again.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anybody know how to get the seats down from the trunk btw??

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
In newer models you have 2 pull switches that you can yank from the trunk...

but if you dont see those, you probably have a button on top of the seats from the inside.

Those latches, if they were in your trunk, you would see them.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No i don't have those switches...... is there any other way?
As far as i can see i can only lower the seats from the inside

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I dont really know how you could "butcher" the seats into folding down if the switch is inside the car....I dont think it's ever possible.

You would have to open up that hood...i remember some guy posting how to open his hood in the FAQ section...he said something about removing his grill.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
ummm.... All I know is my battery in my 325i is in the trunk, there's no space up under the hood for it...your car's an E36 like mine also, so I don't see why it's under the hood??

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
oh wait, n/m i see you have a 318

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok how do you remove those grills??

If i pull any harder im affraid they'll break :(

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
there are clips on the top of them, and directly in the middle on the sides. They are just basic push tab style clips.

do you want me to take my grill out and take a digital pic so you can see how to do it?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah that would be great :D
thnx man

I think the 323i has the same grills

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
ok i'll be right back with the pic stay here to see it ok

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
your battery should be located in the trunk. there are boost prongs in the front but no battery. (at least i have never seen one , and ive seen lots)
if you can access your trunk then check for your battery under the tire iron holder (on right side)

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
oh btw-if you have a battery in the front can you take a picture of it if you ever get a chance, id like to see what it looks like

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As soon as i have my hood open i will gladly take a picture :)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Picture of the grill taken off so you can see where the clips are located that you need to push open with a flat head screw driver in order to pull the grill out.. the tabs are located at the point of the red arrows. On the sides are the most important tabs that need to be cleared first..

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Whoa thanks man, I am foerver in your debt......Well at leat for a couple of weeks :p

1 - 20 of 38 Posts