BMW Werkz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine was going to "help me out this past weekend" with some minor noise issues and had the whole top end of the motor off to clean intake manifolds, injectors, and oil port tubes tubes that I suspected were in mucked up a bit and turned out yes a few holes were plugged.

I had a slight valve tick. Not real bad but figured better safe than sorry right? Well The IDIOT!! Didnt put new valve cover gaskets back on before re-assembly he used that gasket maker crap!. Trying to save me $60. GRRRRRR. Leaks like niagra falls and knocks.

Can the "knock" be from low oil pressure due to this gasket issue? Seems like it would to me but would like definite confirmation if possible.

When running the "tick" I was trying to fix seems to be gone but there is this knock now and I cant really hear to well due to the splashes of oil hitting the ground LOL. Either way I will be putting new gaskets back in this weekend.

Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah man these engines are super high compression engines and will just blow that gasket maker shit out. Knock could be that gasket maker ended up in an oil port and clogged it back up and now a rocker arm or valve is running completely dry. Or maybe a valve just needs a feeler gauge and adjustment. Wouldnt run it until you got new head gaskets buddy. Ive got a 1990 735il and ive got a tick as well. I bet your 12 cylinder will fly though. Keep us posted
beamers4life

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have a 01 740 and a slight oil leak around the heads. when i start the car i can hear the lifters making a little noise after start up but once its ran for a sec it goes away. i figure the oil leaks out while sitting then fills back up once the engine starts. im planning on changing mine once i get a little better weather.

·
Im Bluffin With My Muffin
5,992 Posts
^ change your valve covers to fix the leak BUT the tick on start up is a known m62 issue I would up the oil weight :)

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
10w/40, These engines normally tick as the hydraulic tappets get sticky due to a lot of start/stop small trips, they are after designed for motorways/highways and not poodling around town in, get the gaskets on the covers dne and give it a good 80mph run down the Highway.....the other reason for a tick is the Vanos unit...seals

·
Im Bluffin With My Muffin
5,992 Posts
^ yep! I use 15w50 in the 740il
I will be switching to 20w40 though (Full syn. of course)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts