BMW Werkz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I have looked through the sticky thread and called around a few places today but don't seem to be able to find a definitive answer to my question.

Basically, I want to be able to listen to my iPod in my 2004 BMW 530i. I believe the production date is Dec 2003.

I feel that the ideal (and probably cheapest) solution to have a aux port installed but I'm either told that it can't be done (one BMW dealership) or that it can be done but will cost around $400 (another BMW dealership). Which answer is correct? $400 seems really high to me but the BMW dealer told me it was because the iDrive needed to be reprogrammed on top of the install.

I called a separate audio place and they offered the iSimple as a solution. They told me this would cost $299 installed. However, from everything I've seen, it doesn't look as though the iSimple is even compatible with the model of car because of the iDrive.

I would really appreciate any help as I'm kind of lost here. I'm trying to get this done as a surprise for my husband at Xmas.

I'm in the San Diego area if anyone could recommend a good audio company or BMW dealer to use.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well i listen to mine using a radio link that plugs into the cigar lighter. You tune the radio to the same frequency as the transmitter. I pod sell a thing to suit. i think it's called an i tune.. only about $50 and you're done. I've got another make that cost about 65. but i can also plug a memory stick into that. Only snag is you have to remember to turn the i pod off as well as the radio when you get out of the car.....Kensington Digital FM Radio & Transmitter for iPod - Digital player FM transmitter / FM radio not sure if that link has worked. just google i pod radio transmitter.

·
Registered
849 Posts
you could try a blue tooth adapter...

well, i guess you would need to reprogram the iDrive either way...

some ipods work with blue tooth now

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have just received a quote of £399.00 from my local BMW dealer in the UK to have an Ipod adapter added to my 5 series, so it is possible it just depends on how much you want to spend.

Just note that they will need the car for most of a day as they do need to update the iDrive software to recognise the added adapter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts