BMW Werkz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 BMW 325Ci. Just wanted to know if BMW
had some sort of black box telling me when I went to a certain RPM.

Basically, does BMW have some sort of black box telling them what speed
I've been travelling at? If they do collect this sort of info, what is
it specifically they collect and how far back does it go?

Can I see it if I make a request to my dealer where I bought the car?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
well if they collect that info on rental cars, im officialy screwed...everytime they give me one i make sure to have some fun

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Originally posted by bimmer328isss@Oct 18 2003, 07:07 PM
well if they collect that info on rental cars, im officialy screwed...everytime they give me one i make sure to have some fun
:werd:

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
i'm sure if you over-revved the car bmw could tell approximately what rpm it went to, and it may be able to tell them how many times you red-lined it or went full throttle, but i dont know if it keeps records of normal driving. I'm sure ExTech would have the exact answer for you

·
Registered
310 Posts
rental cars can do alot more than your own car can do..... :thumbs

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yes the dealer can tell all that info, all they do is hook up to your obdII port and read it. That way when you blow your engine up and tell them you were only doing 35MPH...well you get the idea. Best bet is if you are driving it to hard, redline etc. find a friend at the shop who can clear the info before the dealer can look at it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Originally posted by nit78@Oct 20 2003, 10:22 AM
What type of tool would you need to reset this information?
I dont think there is a tool to reset that info. As far as i know the "box" stores bits of information each time you put the key in and drive. changeing information all the time and storing bits of information on certain aspects of the car engine functions :driving

·
Registered
164 Posts
Correct it is not a tool or at least not like you would think of i.e. a wrench. The info is stored in the ECU or some other onboard computer, When the dealer runs Diagnostics on your car and reads the fault codes for example, this is when they can retrive this info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts