BMW Werkz banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I've been noticing a slight burning smell from my car for about a week but its been really faint for me to pinpoint where its coming from. I recently had the tires changed but the smell was there even before that, so last night when I parked the car, I noticed that the smell was really strong this time and I pinpointed it coming from the front drivers side wheel. Could this be a problem with the brakes or something else? My ABS light is on and I think its the ABS sensor for the front drivers side that's faulty.

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
I would suspect a sticky caliper,are you sure its yellow abs (abs) or the red one (!).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its the yellow abs light that is on at the moment. I also here this sound from the same wheel. Its hard to describe but its like a grinding noise, sounds kinda like the sound that you hear when abs is activated but not quite.

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
Sounding more like your wheel bearing has gone and the abs sensor can not read the pulses at the rear of the bearing....jack up the wheel concerned and see if there's any play in it by gripping both sides and wiggle/hold top and bottom do the same if there's any movement whatsoever I would say its the wheel bearing....or the hub has got red hot due to a caliper sticking on and burnt out the sensor, if it has done this then the bearing will be shot anyway and maybe the seals on the caliper....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts