BMW Werkz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Because aftermarket parts would void their warranty.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but if you have no warranty such as I, ive heard that you should take out your CAI and replace the stock box in there, does it really matter?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
If you don't have a warranty I wouldn't worry about it. However, if you plan on selling the car, or trading it in at the dealership, I would take it out because it will lower your resale value (at the dealership).

Or, some people may be paranoid and think the dealer will not work on their car if it has aftermarket parts on it.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I dont know about getting serviced on but i know you should take it off if you are trading it in my friend had a 2.5 rs and took of the turbo, rims, and chip and replaced them and traded it it in with just the kits and wing. They rip you off anyways dont let them take your stuff!

DAvid

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Originally posted by bigred318@Dec 18 2003, 11:22 PM
I dont know about getting serviced on but i know you should take it off if you are trading it in my friend had a 2.5 rs and took of the turbo, rims, and chip and replaced them and traded it it in with just the kits and wing. They rip you off anyways dont let them take your stuff!

DAvid
Yeah. They won't up the trade in value for any of that stuff. If it's on there when you trade it in they take it off and take it home, or sell it. Then refit the car with new stock parts that you paid for when you walked off the lot with the new car. Sometimes they even lower the "black" book value of your trade in because of them.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah when i sell my car its going to be stock and im selling all of my aftermarket parts seperately. but if i need the oil changed or something small like that i think im just going to leave the exhaust and intake on.

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
also most dealer will tell you that aftermarket parts on a car make it harder to sell, usually they request this to push the sell quicker. also the owner of the car will not see any more money for having X amount of dollars sunk into their car, therefore they strip it down to stock and sell the parts extra.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Dealers don't decrease the value of Aftermarket parts on your vehicle. They just don't add for them because they don't add value in the wholesale marketplace. For instance I had a guy who had a mint 1999 M3 Convertible with 30,000 miles that had never seen rain or snow. He had gone and done a Dinan Stage 3 upgrade on the car while he had it. Unfortunately the value he had in mind for his car wasn't realistic because all the money he went and spent on the Dinan stuff actually became a detriment rather than a benefit. My dealership isn't a licensed Dinan dealer and a lot of that stuff voids the CPO warranty. Also a lot of people when looking to purchase a car are looking to either keep it stock or do some of their own mods. Having the mods on the car shrinks your market appeal because only so few want or understand the nature of the parts put on the car. Also you get people who want proof of the work and unless the dealer selling the car did the mods, the dealer who's looking to retail the car will loose a customers interest in that vehicle no matter how nice it is. It's all about market appeal and major mods unfortunately don't appeal to a broad market compared to if the car didn't have anything done to it. :thumbs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts