BMW Werkz banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Okay I know I'm probably doing it all wrong so I need some advice on not what brand to use only but also the steps I should take.

My 1995 525i no longer has an excellent paint job, and the dings and scratches are visible and very annoying. I used a carnuba wax and also found it to be very hard to apply and then remove, I'm currently using a synthetic liquid polish and while its easy to apply I'm not to impressed with the shine.

I probably should be using more than one product at the same time but I don't know what would be the best. And also is there a polish out there designed for certain color cars?

Would applying Carnuba Wax to fill the scratches and then afterwards applying the liquid synthetic polish be a good way to get a better shine and scratch removal?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Wow, I started this thread in March 05 and its still alive! I ended up using Mothers Carnuba... Looks very nice, going to do it again next week i think.

btw, im suprised how diverse everyones brand selection is!

·
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin
9,355 Posts
Cruzin 323is said:
i am all about zaino brothers wax!!
they dont make wax, they make polish, and they are without a doubt the best...

second best is meguiars professional grade, stay away from nano wax and gold glass and crap like that

Zaino > Meguairs proffesional grade(#7,#26,#6) > all the other crap

meg clay bar, 2 coats meg professional grade #7, followed with 1 of #26, car had terrible oxidation to start with...

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
JWK said:
Hi, I also have a black BMW. I started out using Mother's California Gold Carnuba, but I about broke my A... getting it off. I found it terribly difficult to work with, however, I was waxing it by hand. Since then I have switched to Zymol. It is a liquid and much easier to work with. It does a great job too!

Don't forget to clay your car at least once a year.

Good luck!
sensory overload said:
i like the Zymol.
ADS328 said:
Zymol was ranked best by Consumer Reports a couple of years ago... best shine and durability. I also like Maguiar's...
Hootie361 said:
I use Zymol carnuba. Takes 4 hours to wax the car by hand, but damn it looks nice afterwords.

Here's to random orbital buffers!! :cheers
I should have listened to all these previous posts!

ZYMOL FTW!!! Took a while, but the car looks amazing and took a bunch of little scratches that were bothering me. Stay away from mothers, pain to work with, didnt take scratches out, and its sooooooo hard to get of any plastic moldings. The turtle wax ice is good, but i dont see it lasting too long... (tried it on my dads rendezvous)

·
Banned
1,009 Posts
I use GOLD CLASS spray wax, it sure is expensive but does the job with terricotton towel in like 10 min, that means i wax my whole car in 10 in and my car just shines like glass, no buffing like a dog or anything, just instant shine.

Preyash

·
Registered
24 Posts
Being the new (old) kid here, I thought I'd chime in with wax preferences. I noticed Excel Detail also posted here....I'd give him a shameless plug anytime. He has excellent products and online service that is fantastic!

Okay, on to the wax(s). There are a ton of products out there with as many companies marketing them. I have found it's up to the customer to decide how much time he/she wants to spend on waxing their ride.

As a general rule: Sealants offer longer lasting protection than carnubas. The ones I'm familiar with are: Klasse, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant, Meguiar's M21 Synthetic Sealer (professional series), and Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax, and Collinite Insulator Wax. I especially like them in the winter for durability.

Carnuba's: Pinnacle Souveran (top stuff), Meguiar's #26, Collinite Carnuba are good ones.

No matter what your preference, it's prep-prep-prep. Wash + Clay + Polish to remove scratches and swirls + End product (Carnuba or sealant) will give you the results.

Here's a 740i Sport metallic gray that I just finished today. I started with 3000 grit and an air sander to knock off scratches. The front bumper was peppered and the headlight lenses were awful. Then, compounded with a rotary polisher using Optimum Compound (light stuff, but I'm not trying to take away clear coat). Then, apply glaze to add oils back to the paint. That process takes the better part of 8 hours for this old man.

My final coat of wax was Meguiar's #26 and the hood got a coat of Pinnacle Souveran because I wanted to show the shop owner how that performs.

Here's a couple of finished pictures.

Here's a shot of the hood. That speck you see on the front fender near the headlight is a bug BTW.

Whatever you decide, seek some advice from folks like Excel or Meguiars. It will save you time and money.

Toto

·
Registered
26 Posts
I like the Meguiars tech wax. Did my black Escalade the other night and all I can say is wow!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Wow, an old thread! Heres a few jobs with different products.........
Long day to say the least. I started out with the F 150, which hadn't seen a detailer as long as I have known these fine folks. About 3 years now! Ive only washed it a few times, but never taken a PC to it. Well today it met its match. BF paint wash (old formula), Optimum Medium grade grey clay, 1Z PP, an Orange pad, UPP with a grey pad, diluted Smart Dressing for tires, DG All Wheel Cleaner for wheels.
Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Next up, the Toureg, and some of the most beautiful paint I have ever had the pleasure of working on. Washed with BF paint wash (a real old formula), DG All Wheel Cleaner for the wheels, Sonus Ultra Light Clay, diluted Smart dressing for tires. DG 105 with a green pad for the paint. Interior leather treated with DG Leather conditioner.
Before

After

Before

After

And finally, what was to have just been a wash, ended up getting detailed. The rear deck was suffering from some water etching, so I broke out some Optimum Compound with a green pad. The used DG 105 over everything except the PPF on the front hood, and fron of the 1/4 panels. The owner was a little disturbed when I showed them the same etching under the PPF! I sealed that up with AW. Duragloss All Wheel Cleaner for the spokes, One Grand ERV for the tires. Beautiful twin turbo, and a very pleasing color. No befores as it was originaly destined for just a wash, and I forgot, plus I was a little pooped....lol
But here is a beautiful car for sure!

·
The Messican
2,957 Posts
nice work, what do you recommend for darker metallic colors? something i can get like at pep boys that will give my car a deep wet look?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Dark colors require clarity for true depth and color. And that mean bringing the paint to as swirl free status as attainable witout compromising clear coat. Obviously a polish or paint cleaner will be needed. And to keep it that way, a PC or UDM is probably a long term order.
Im not real familiar with whats sold in OTC shops, but I would imagine the Mothers Reflections line would be a good place to start......

·
The Messican
2,957 Posts
exceldetail said:
Dark colors require clarity for true depth and color. And that mean bringing the paint to as swirl free status as attainable witout compromising clear coat. Obviously a polish or paint cleaner will be needed. And to keep it that way, a PC or UDM is probably a long term order.
Im not real familiar with whats sold in OTC shops, but I would imagine the Mothers Reflections line would be a good place to start......

i kind of undertstood what you said...but...can u dumb it down? whats a pc or udm?

·
The Messican
2,957 Posts
ok, so about 2 weeks or so i waxed the car with meguiars nxt past wax....very very good, nice deep wet shine to eat, water beads of rather nicely, washed it a few days ago and still had a nice shine, after drying i went at it with mothers fx spray wax quick detailer, really REALLY brought out the shine again

quite pleased with meguairs nxt...but i think there could be something better....might clay bar the car in a few weeks

·
42, The meaning of life
2,405 Posts
So reviving this thread again (because I am new here) and to see what people are using now (new products or evolved decisions). Has anyone had any experience with the 5 Star Shine product at all?
I have a badly faded red car that I want to bring back to life before I sell it, is there something new on the market that I should consider, or are the old faithful products still the way to go? The last guy that detailed my car left some nasty swirl marks in places where he was heavy handed with his buffer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So reviving this thread again (because I am new here) and to see what people are using now (new products or evolved decisions). Has anyone had any experience with the 5 Star Shine product at all?
I have a badly faded red car that I want to bring back to life before I sell it, is there something new on the market that I should consider, or are the old faithful products still the way to go? The last guy that detailed my car left some nasty swirl marks in places where he was heavy handed with his buffer.
That last guy wasn't heavy handed just an idiot using a harsh polish and finishing with it too... as for products, honestly, stuff has evolved a bit, but compared to 2007, same old crap just a different toilet... Meguiar's waxes are good, Zymol, P21S, etc. as for your car, I would consider getting a proper detail done to get it back to tip-top shape, unless it's damage in the clear coat, then just clay it and wax it well. OTC I would recommend Meguiar's products as they're one of the best now and I can highly recommend them having used their line for over 3 years now.

Good luck and post pics of the car for more help if you want.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Your red maybe single stage paint. Meguiar's 83/80 or the new 105/205 will do wonders. Polishing is what makes the paint shine. Wax protects it.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts