BMW Werkz banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I just put these in.
the plugs in my "new" 1990 525i were lookin bad, and my engine had a slight miss at idle.

the good:
the platinum +4s seem to be more responsive when accelerating

the bad:
the engine still misses a little at idle. i'm thinking now that it might be a vacuum hose.

any thoughts on the advantages or disadvantages of these plugs would be appreciated. -and so would thought on my idle problem :confused

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The +4 does not fire from all fours at the same time; one at a time and the same holds true for the +2. That is what a BMW tech claimed. The spitfire plug is another story. Another advantage to the +4 is that they tend to last longer than the +2s but no power gained above and beyond the +2s.

A vacuum hose leak can be detected by hissing sound like (woosh) or you may want to consider spraying break fluid cleaner on the suspected area; if you idle change you know you have a vacuum leak.

Good luck and let us know.
regards
billb

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
platinum plugs whether it be a +2 or +4 is the WRONG plug for an m20 or m30 engine - which is what you have (I'm almost positive).

You should go with a standard copper core plug.

BTW: That doesnt make sense. If the plug were to fire one prong at a time, it would be like having 4 seperate plugs and it would fire at the wrong time all the time. Considering that the center is just the annode and the 4 poles are grounds, I don't see how that is possible.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Originally posted by sp0rky@Nov 24 2004, 07:45 AM
platinum plugs whether it be a +2 or +4 is the WRONG plug for an m20 or m30 engine - which is what you have (I'm almost positive).

You should go with a standard copper core plug.

BTW: That doesnt make sense. If the plug were to fire one prong at a time, it would be like having 4 seperate plugs and it would fire at the wrong time all the time. Considering that the center is just the annode and the 4 poles are grounds, I don't see how that is possible.
[snapback]236527[/snapback]​
They certainly don't fire all at the same time.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Bosch Super 4 Spark Plugs
After using them ourselves we are recommending these latest spark plugs from BOSCH THE SUPER 4
A performance breakthrough from Bosch.
Bosch are used to making improvements in design, but this is a revolutionary breakthrough that is totally unique.
The Super-4 outperforms conventional spark plugs in every situation. It uses state-of-the-art 'surface-air-gap' technology, and features four thin ground electrodes with one pointed, silver-plated centre electrode. This enables the ignition spark to choose the best path for reliable ignition, and according to the load placed on the engine.

The advantages:

Increased acceleration
Less chance of misfiring
Better cold start performance
Increased engine efficiency

So it in effect chooses the best electrode to arc from at that moment in time.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Beelz
Since you saying So it in effect chooses the best electrode to arc from at that moment in time. It means also they don't fire all at once (as some tend to believe)
My question is this: can one conclude based on the above that the +4 has some cleaning (self cleaning???) effect?? i.e. firing from one arc tends to prevent buildups on the idling/off arc in that moment of the cycle? or this is asking too much of a plug??
regards
billb

·
Registered
448 Posts
Originally posted by BeelZibub@Nov 24 2004, 07:48 AM
After using them ourselves we are recommending these latest spark plugs from BOSCH THE SUPER 4
Bosch are used to making improvements in design, but this is a revolutionary breakthrough that is totally unique.
The Super-4 outperforms conventional spark plugs in every situation. It uses state-of-the-art 'surface-air-gap' technology, and features four thin ground electrodes with one pointed, silver-plated centre electrode. This enables the ignition spark to choose the best path for reliable ignition, and according to the load placed on the engine.

The advantages:

Increased acceleration
Less chance of misfiring

[snapback]236645[/snapback]​
Bosch USA website doesn't have any info about the super-4...is this too new for their site, or is it a non-usa plug?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Originally posted by frank3+Nov 25 2004, 02:30 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(frank3 @ Nov 25 2004, 02:30 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-BeelZibub@Nov 24 2004, 07:48 AM

The advantages:

Increased acceleration
Less chance of misfiring

Bosch USA website doesn't have any info about the super-4...is this too new for their site, or is it a non-usa plug?
[snapback]236928[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

It is available in the US markets see the link below for further info.
http://www.boschusa.com/AutoParts/SparkPlugs/PlatinumPlus4/
regards
billb

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I did use the +4 once did not notice much difference from the +2. As I said above they don't fire from all fours at once as many wish to believe. Dealer did recommend the +2 Bosch and I am sticking with it.
regards
billb

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Ah, that makes much more sense.

I took it as they fire in a cycle.. from one to two to three, etc. and I thought to myself: "How can that be possible?" Either way - regardless of how the plug fires it is not good for use in the older BMW engines. It can even cause some rough running in the earlier m50s. m20s and m30s certainly dislike any kind of platinum plug, though.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The whole issue is covered in more details in Jllphan's "product review" thread. What is interesting though is the +2 sold by the dealer are Bosch too but it reads BMW on it.

·
WOT in Reverse
3,441 Posts
Yes sir Bill, for my car, BMW offers a twin copper diode Bosch Super plug as oem replacement. I've also read (bmpd.com) that BMW endorses a twin (not four) electrode platinum plug, but with my experience, I am sticking to oem copper.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Originally posted by billB+Nov 24 2004, 07:07 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(billB @ Nov 24 2004, 07:07 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2004, 02:30 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-BeelZibub
@Nov 24 2004, 07:48 AM

The advantages:

Increased acceleration
Less chance of misfiring

[snapback]236928[/snapback]​
It is available in the US markets see the link below for further info.
http://www.boschusa.com/AutoParts/SparkPlugs/PlatinumPlus4/
regards
billb
[snapback]236956[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

Not sure if they're the same plugs...read the details. US plug has platinum core, UK plug references a silver plated core.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Originally posted by billB@Nov 23 2004, 08:49 PM
The +4 does not fire from all fours at the same time; one at a time and the same holds true for the +2. That is what a BMW tech claimed. The spitfire plug is another story. Another advantage to the +4 is that they tend to last longer than the +2s but no power gained above and beyond the +2s.

A vacuum hose leak can be detected by hissing sound like (woosh) or you may want to consider spraying break fluid cleaner on the suspected area; if you idle change you know you have a vacuum leak.

Good luck and let us know.
regards
billb
[snapback]236340[/snapback]​
:lmao2 good morning Bill. Once again, your knowledge impresses me. Where did get so much scoop on Bimmers? Say, if you had a straight 6, like I do in my 530 01 or a V8 and drove both the exact same would you expect the englife to be longer in a V8?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Originally posted by BeelZibub@Nov 24 2004, 08:48 AM

The advantages:

Increased acceleration
Less chance of misfiring

In regards to choosing the best path...that is the way electricity works. It is not Bosch engineering, maybe Bosch marketing. Electricity will always choose the path of least resistance. That's why people use lightning rods.

Only one electrode ever "fires". The are all connected together so there is no voltage between the electrodes, the one that represents the least resistance will "fire".

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Originally posted by agoff7+Nov 28 2004, 05:14 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(agoff7 @ Nov 28 2004, 05:14 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-BeelZibub@Nov 24 2004, 08:48 AM

The advantages:

Increased acceleration
Less chance of misfiring

In regards to choosing the best path...that is the way electricity works. It is not Bosch engineering, maybe Bosch marketing. Electricity will always choose the path of least resistance. That's why people use lightning rods.

Only one electrode ever "fires". The are all connected together so there is no voltage between the electrodes, the one that represents the least resistance will "fire".
[snapback]238611[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

I am getting off topic here and away from Bosch but I say yup Electricity takes the least resistance path. But it also takes every other path available to it. In fact Electrons take all available paths including my 1000 ohm body path!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks 4 all the replies.

jll- thx 4 the link. i looked around before i posted, but some how i missed it.
very informative.

Question: Do the 4+ pose any harm to the engine?
I just sunk 45 bucks in to em, so if they don't pose a threat i'll leave em in for a while :wink

the +4s seem to be fine so far. my acceleration improved drastically. however the plugs that were in the car when i bought it were old, so i'm not sure how much better new +4s are than new regular ol' oem plugs. I am looking forward to trying the oems for comparison.

billb- there's no self cleaning that i can figure (lol). traveling the path of least reisistance however, (with 4 electrode options) should, in theory, lead to longer life. the longer arc also makes good sense to me. the bosch sales pitch is good. i guess only time will tell.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
hpacc

Excellent replies and inputs. I think most if not all of our members are professionals and they do know what they're talking about. When one of us (especially me) miss on one diagnostic problem, surely another professional member will get it right and correct it. That is the beauty of the 5 series members. Later :cheers

BillB

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by billB@Nov 29 2004, 08:04 PM
hpacc

Excellent replies and inputs. I think most if not all of our members are professionals and they do know what they're talking about. When one of us (especially me) miss on one diagnostic problem, surely another professional member will get it right and correct it. That is the beauty of the 5 series members. Later :cheers

BillB
[snapback]239780[/snapback]​
i've noticed! this forum is a great find. thanks all, and keep up the good work :cheers

1 - 20 of 25 Posts