BMW Werkz banner

bmw launching, reving

3K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  dutchbmw 
#1 ·
Need everyones opinion. What is the best way to launch the car off the line? How do most of you guys do it? When is it the best time to also shift? I mostly shift at 3,000 rpms regularly but if I want more speed I shift at 4,500-5,000 rpms. I know there is alot of ways to launch and peel out, but what is the best way? To peel out I usually go in 1st gear with the clutch pedal down then rev to about 5,000 rpms and quickly release the clutch.

#2 ·
ok. Well first i would stop reving your car to 5 grand and dropping the clutch. This could seriously hurt the car. Well to launch I usually rev to about 3 grand at the most then slow release the clutch till it starts to grab then i quickly realease the rest of it. This is sorta bad on the clutch but it is better on the driveline and rear end. The object is to start going as fast as you can without burning out. If you burn out you lose time and after the burnout is done your engine will bog and you will have to start all over. (sorry for the run on sentence). Well that is how I would do it but that is just me.

#3 ·
u got the most power from our bmw's at 4900... so shift at 4900... but dont start off in 4900, ull peel out n thats a waste

-WB

#4 ·
thanks for the info guys. i actually tried shifting at 4,900 rpms earlier as this ricer civic pulled up next to me. damn once i hit 4th gear i was gone. :thumbs

#5 ·
5900 optimal is 5900

#6 ·
I hear 4900, 4900, I hear 4900. Do I hear 5900? 5900, 5900, i hear 5900. Do I hear more? 5900. 5900. Redline. Redline. i hear redline. Sold to gentleman in the black dress for redline.

God im bored.

#8 ·
well if you want to get technical, in order to determine your optimum launching and shifting points you need a dyno sheet. In real world drag racing, this is how the pros determine their shift and launching points. There are other factors that come into play with the pros but basically you need to see a dyno graph.
For the average Joe, typically you want to launch the vehicle at just a point that the car will not bogg when the clutch engages. But you also don't want to launch at a point that will anihilate the tires so you have to experiment. For shift points, you generally want to shift about 200-300 rpm above peak HP. But again, you won't know your peak hp points without a dyno graph. Each engine is different but you can go with an advertised hp peak.

#9 ·
Originally posted by WickedBimmer@Feb 6 2004, 03:12 PM
u got the most power from our bmw's at 4900... so shift at 4900... but dont start off in 4900, ull peel out n thats a waste

-WB
even though after 4900 the tq starts to trail off, there's still plenty of useable tq up till redline. and depending on engine (M52 or M54) you'll make your peak hp around 5500-6000 rpm. so ideally you would want to shift at around 6000-6500rpm so the next gear engages right in the sweet spot of the powerband

#11 ·
Originally posted by tyro2001@Mar 8 2004, 10:39 PM
how can you peel out with an automatic car?
You hold the brake in, put it in "D" and FLOOR IT, it's called a brake torque......totally hillbilly though....

#13 ·
Originally posted by tyro2001@Mar 8 2004, 07:39 PM
how can you peel out with an automatic car?
Well... With enough hp all you do is floor it. A 325, 328 or 330 won't do it though.
I had a `78 Mustang II with a top tuned 5.0 and c4 auto tranny pushing about 330hp at the wheels and it would smoke the tires(15/65/235 i beleive) 45-50 ft. when I floored it.
I wouldn't break torque it too much, it is very hard on the tranny.
Ad some nitrous with a WOT switch. You'll see plenty of smoke in your rear view mirror.
:rock

#14 ·
i know! i know!, put it in neutral, and hit redline, then slam it in drive while its at redline....thats a sure way to ask for a new tranny lol...I learned the hard way when I was like 15 on my '79 Dodge truck...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.