BMW Werkz banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
brettski....you have described a very similar situation within your wife's car....can't believe someone else has had this similar of an issue....however, we replaced the fuel pump with an oem one two weeks ago and still are having the same issues....anymore ideas??? Thanks for your help.

· 42, The meaning of life
2,399 Posts
The fuel rail is fed by the fuel pump while the engine is running, and for 2 seconds if the key is in position II without the engine on. The fuel rail needs to be at a reasonably constant pressure for the injectors to discharge the correct volume of fuel otherwise your running too lean (hot) or rich, either way isn't good. The fuel rail pressure is usually regulated by preset pressure regulator which bleeds excess rail pressure back to the fuel tank, this keeps the fuel in the rail cooler as well. Sometimes (I have heard) the pressure regulator can either wear out or pickup some contaminants from the fuel which will stop the pressure control mechanism from working as designed, allowing the fuel to bleed out of the rail too quickly (dropping the pressure), or bleed the rail totally when the engine is off for a while. I have also heard of people that have solved this by running Seafoam through their fuel tanks (fuel system) and it has cleaned the seals in the pressure regulators, thus eliminating or reducing the problem.

If you experience this issue again, try the technique that we developed (Key to position II 3 or 4 times before cranking the engine) and let us know if it works for you. As I said earlier, get hold of a can of Seafoam and give your tank a good serve (maybe at a higher dosage than suggested) and then go for a good long drive to let it do its thing. It should help clean your injectors in the process as well.

It looks like there are probably two pressure regulators in your car.
One is built into the fuel filter underneath the car RealOEM.com BMW E46 330i Fuel filter, pressure regulator

I would have expected to find it in this diagram, but its not there
RealOEM.com BMW E46 330i VALVES/PIPES OF FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM

· 42, The meaning of life
2,399 Posts
Fingers crossed, having an unreliable car is bad enough, but when you are used to really enjoying your driving experience it makes it worse. Let us know how it goes.

· Registered
1 Posts
After two times in the shop, no one can find why my 330i is randomly not starting......it always starts on a cold start but randomly doesn't start on a hot start. It always turns over, just doesn't start. After some time passes, (from 5 minutes to 1 1/2 hours) it will start (suppose after temp on motor drops). This happens so randomly, it cannot be duplicated. So, I was driving it about two weeks ago and it cut off while driving full speed (approximately 55 mph). Pulled off road and after about 15 minutes it cranked and I drove it home and it has been parked since. Can someone please help me determine what the problem might be? No codes are being displayed. Thanks.
Hi im experiencing the same problem as your, please tell me how you managed to fix it, im very desparate
Thanx

· Registered
2,194 Posts
Hi im experiencing the same problem as your, please tell me how you managed to fix it, im very desparate
Thanx
Did you not read through the thread? Check the last post the OP made regarding the issue.

· Registered
1 Posts
i had the exact same problem but it was for 2004 E60 with an M54
it turned out to be the fuel pump relay. you can try that it's cheaper than just replacing random sensors.
and BTW it's not likely the crank or cam sensors because they almost always store a fault if they've gone bad
hope it helps
My 04 E60 did the same thing: just randomly shutting down, After a few minutes it starts right up and cruises until the next shutdown. I had it to TWO expert BMW shops and the local dealership both of whom couldn't figure it out. On the recommendation of a close friend I took it to this guy in a small, crowded garage. He test drove it for a couple days and got it to shut down as described . Here's the answer!!! The car has a sensor which shuts off the motor in the event of a rollover or other accident. It wants the car to be standing on its 4 tires all the time. This sensor was malfunctioning. He replaced it ($188.00 dealer cost) and it has never done it again. I do not know what the darn thing is even called but there you have it!!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts