BMW Werkz banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After two times in the shop, no one can find why my 330i is randomly not starting......it always starts on a cold start but randomly doesn't start on a hot start. It always turns over, just doesn't start. After some time passes, (from 5 minutes to 1 1/2 hours) it will start (suppose after temp on motor drops). This happens so randomly, it cannot be duplicated. So, I was driving it about two weeks ago and it cut off while driving full speed (approximately 55 mph). Pulled off road and after about 15 minutes it cranked and I drove it home and it has been parked since. Can someone please help me determine what the problem might be? No codes are being displayed. Thanks.

· Registered
3 Posts
Hi Cheryl ..to me that sounds like ur crank positioning sensor... German car r known for that, I have a buddy of mine that had that same problem he use to drive around with a gallon of water so when it shut off he would dump some water over the sensor and it would cool it of and crank right over... Hope u found ur answer. Good luck.

· Captain... Savvy ?
2,172 Posts
Hi Cheryl ..to me that sounds like ur crank positioning sensor... German car r known for that, I have a buddy of mine that had that same problem he use to drive around with a gallon of water so when it shut off he would dump some water over the sensor and it would cool it of and crank right over... Hope u found ur answer. Good luck.
It's an idea as my M52 was parked uphill for some weeks and refused to start at all... I put it down to the oil not reaching the cam sensor to clean it/cool it...

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply-however, I had one of the sensors replaced recently (either cam shaft or crank positioning sensor). Also, just replaced fuel pump on a whim that it could be that. It certainly seems to be fuel related. I have not driven the car since July 12, 2011, when it cut off going down the road. I have occasionally gone out to start it, though, and sometimes it cranks and sometimes it doesn't. No rhyme nor reason. Today, someone read the codes and it showed low compression on fuel injectors (or something like that). The car will fire with starter fluid (ether) but will not continue to run, like fuel is being shut off. Still, I'm dumb founded with all this, sometimes it will, sometimes it won't stuff. Anymore options I should try?

· Captain... Savvy ?
2,172 Posts
Has to be an air-lock in the fuel-line... Purge the fuel rail using the attached valve... Maybe install a non-return fuel valve in the fuel-line before the throttle-body...
HTH

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mechanic checked codes yesterday and said there were a bunch listed, however, the car continues to start for him. Not one time since he has had it has it not started!! What to do, what to do??? If he can't get it to not start, then how will he find what is wrong with it?

· Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for your reply-however, I had one of the sensors replaced recently (either cam shaft or crank positioning sensor). Also, just replaced fuel pump on a whim that it could be that. It certainly seems to be fuel related. I have not driven the car since July 12, 2011, when it cut off going down the road. I have occasionally gone out to start it, though, and sometimes it cranks and sometimes it doesn't. No rhyme nor reason. Today, someone read the codes and it showed low compression on fuel injectors (or something like that). The car will fire with starter fluid (ether) but will not continue to run, like fuel is being shut off. Still, I'm dumb founded with all this, sometimes it will, sometimes it won't stuff. Anymore options I should try?
i had the exact same problem but it was for 2004 E60 with an M54
it turned out to be the fuel pump relay. you can try that it's cheaper than just replacing random sensors.
and BTW it's not likely the crank or cam sensors because they almost always store a fault if they've gone bad
hope it helps

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks the drakester09. i should have mentioned in an earlier post that the first thing we tried was switching the relay-swapped horn relay with fuel pump relay-no change. Thanks for the info, though.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still no luck......went to pick up car today, mechanic said it has started every time. He is going to drive it this afternoon for about 50-60 miles to see how it does. I hope I get this crazy car back tomorrow; I sure do miss driving it.

· 42, The meaning of life
2,399 Posts
Is there anything unusual about where you are parking when you experience this issue?
When you try to start it, can you try starting it in Neutral rather than Park?
When it does eventually start are there any symptoms after trying, ot does it start and run normally?
Are you using the same key as the mechanic was using?

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No unusual parking places-moved it about 300ft yesterday (in the driveway) and wouldn't start back. Haven't tried starting it in neutral yet (will let you know). And, if it does start (or when in most cases) it runs like a dream (just what one would expect from a BMW-awesome). Have tried both keys (carrying one with me and switching when it wouldn't start). That was something I tried early on with this issue. And if I hadn't mentioned it already, the car will start with Ether and run until it burns off (which is quickly) then shut back off. Other times, the car starts normal, runs awesome and drives great. But it is so unpredictable and I haven't figured out how to duplicate the problem on demand, just yet anyway. Thanks for you input, and more would be appreciated as I am still wanting this car back to perfect!!

· 42, The meaning of life
2,399 Posts
Have you tried running some Seafoam fuel system cleaner through it? It may not solve the problem, but its not going to do any harm either.

When it won't start can you hear the fuel pump run for ~2 seconds and then shut off (if you don't crank the engine)? My wife's Subaru liberty had a similar issue which started off really intermittent, and progressively worsened. The fuel pump was running, but the car wouldn't always start. The workaround for us was to turn the ignition to position II (just before cranking) 3 or 4 times to let the fuel pump run and then stop, and then try starting the car, usually (not always) it would start and run without further issue. We had the fuel pump changed and the problem hasn't reocurred since. I suspect that it was actually some to do with the fuel rail pressure regulator which on some models is on the fuel rail in the engine bay, inline before the engine bay, or somewhere else that the clever engineers think to hide it. It may be nowhere near the mark, but just another line of thought.

· Captain... Savvy ?
2,172 Posts
Hmmm if you have to use "easy-Start" (Ethanol) then this just makes the mixture RICHER, this would suggest an air leak that makes the engine run too lean (sometimes can cause a slight overheat too)...
Just an idea !!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts