BMW Werkz banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Im thinking about purchasing a 540. My understanding seems to be that the bulk of the probs with this car is in the cooling system, radiator, water pump etc. With some probs being electrical. Now Im very mechanically inclined and am most likely capable of handling most of the repairs of this car, except for electrical thats something i really should learn how to do.

So the question came up who does repairs for you better:

The Bimmer shops- which apparently have more experience handling these cars at about half the price of the dealership.

The dealerships-have better access to bmw specific equipment, codes and such

What is your expereience befoe I take this route.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I would say dealerships are more familiar with the common faults with the various models since they deal with a higher volume of cars and they get updates from BMWNA. However, their prices are ridiculously outrageous! And dealers are usually slimy dishonest cut-throats!!!

Independent shops might have to deal with guess work and trial and error to fix some problems. And some of them do not have the equipment to do stuff like diagnostics. If you can find one that's honest and reputable, and has the software to run diagnostics, good for you!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts