BMW Werkz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lo all... I recently started to fall in love with old bimmers, or as my friend calls his 528e a "ghetto bimmer." I was wondering which old bimmer (preferably before 1980), is the best in terms of performance? (Plz include yr. with your response!)

·
Registered
179 Posts
id take a 635csi or an m6 or an L6 or a 735

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
6 series wernt performance cars. They were more in-limbo cars like the 8 series. Had a big engine, big cost and big body, Didnt really zoom and didnt really handle the best. Dont get me wrong but there are far better cars performance wise than the 6 and 8 series.
No doubt I'd have to say 2002 first and the 320 second. Both have venerable engines and bodies built like rocks. And they are light !!

My dad had a 197x (8?) 320i, he put thousands into reworkin the engine and suspension and was president of the florida BMW club for a while. He was pretty much kicked out by the wave of new e30s who resented the old school bm. (pretty much how it is today with the e46 majority being ass holes who thinks all the previous years can suck ass) It was a tight car and i can scan a few pictures if youd like.

Also I forgot to say that the best old BM by wins with no compition, thats the 3.0 CSL

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Originally posted by Fox@Jan 13 2004, 07:23 PM
(pretty much how it is today with the e46 majority being ass holes who thinks all the previous years can suck ass) It was a tight car and i can scan a few pictures if youd like.
very true. thats what the new bmws came from..so why cant the ol' school be in the club too :cheers

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
2002! Though i do enjoy my 85 535i.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Originally posted by Fox@Jan 13 2004, 08:23 PM
Also I forgot to say that the best old BM by wins with no compition, thats the 3.0 CSL
oh ya i forgot about that, ya nvm 3.0 csl.
btw i didnt realisetthat we were performance oriented specific.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya fox, if u could scan some in I would appreciate it!! I currently looking for a bimmer, but I would rather have a old bimmer instead of a new one. Not because of $$$ just because of the nostalgia of old BMWs. And its always fun to smoke some ricer in a car 15+yrs older than his!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have had three 320i's (78,81,82) a 88 528e and a 88 735i. Presently own a 81 320i and adding a 98 740i. I like the 7's the best for long rides (not because they are bigger) I like the 320i the best overall.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Originally posted by wax@Jan 13 2004, 12:26 AM
or as my friend calls his 528e a "ghetto bimmer."
I call my beemer "the old lady," though she is not ENTIRELY old, she sometimes acts it...

Anyway, what are the performance specs for the 2002? i know nothing about this car and im sure they are interesting...

·
Registered
1,665 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
2002 seems to be all the rage with the die-hard bimmerphiles. If you like vintage BMW's you gotta consider it. :cheers

·
Registered
244 Posts
E21 BABY!

·
Millions of them.
14,879 Posts
Originally posted by M3turbog16@Jan 19 2004, 12:13 AM
E21 BABY!
i know i should have gotten an e21 too... didnt have the money though, but it looked really really good :deal

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Money no object, a 507 would be awesome. But if you just want the most bang for the buck, a 2002 is the way to go. Lots of aftermarket parts and they are fairly cheap.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts