best company to use, i.e. dinan? and what mods should i
start with, it already has sport suspension... but should i
upgrade that too?

And what company is reliable to use?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
i say leave the suspension alone for a while, buy some nice remus or super spring exhuast some conforti cold air intake, and a bavarian auto chip and your 328 will be moving! Does it hav rims on it yet if not do that too!

David

·
Registered
909 Posts
first thing id do is get the chip, best bang for your buck. i just bought a DINAN for my 1993 325is. (24 added HP for 100 bucks, granted i bought it on EBAY but thats not too shabby!)...

·
Registered
236 Posts
when you buy a chip you do'nt have to do anything special, except hook it up...yes you can do it yourself it's very easy

---------edit------
i just read the thread about your new car, i like it, and by the way :welcome
you have a '98, someone correct me if i'm wrong, but that is obdII which means you have to get a shark injector...you don't actually install the chip, you just re-flash the memory with new software

·
Registered
41 Posts
Originally posted by jennsydandrew@Jan 29 2004, 09:40 PM
I have a question. Do you have to do anything speacial to the beemer when you buy a chip? Can I install it myself? Why does a chip help HP?
When you add a chip you can do it yourself, it depends though. Usually it is a replacement ECU which all you need to do is remove the old one and plug the wires into the new one.

It isn't required to do any other mods but intake and exhaust will give you a bigger increase when combined with the chip. The reason it can give you a performance increase because basically it is a rerogrammed engine management program for your car so it will run your engine for optimal performance.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
As stated above a chip wont work in your car, you can just reprogram the factory ECU with a SI. CAI and exhuast will make some more power, and changing the pullies will free up some more.

·
Registered
95 Posts
As stated above a chip wont work in your car, you can just reprogram the factory ECU with a SI. CAI and exhuast will make some more power, and changing the pullies will free up some more.
I'm sorry but can somebody enlighten me with this? - how can I reprogam the ECU? will i have to hook it up to my computer? will i need some kind of a particular interface and software? thanks.. :screwy

·
Registered
698 Posts
To reprogram your chip you will need to buy a shark injector. It goes into your obdII "reciever" and you hit a few buttons and you're done.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
oh yeah about that shark injector can you guys elaborate a little more on that! iwasreading up on it kind of and it looks like a good deal! so is it always on your car? or do you put it on press the buttons let it do its stuff and take it off? and after you do it once say you put something else on your car would you put it back on and reprogram it again or what?

David

·
Registered
4 Posts
Where can I find a shark injector, how much do they cost, and are they better than the Dinan software upgrade,

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so chip it and then put intake and exhaust...sounds good

I hear that dinan is a very good bmw tuner, has anyone had any problems with them?

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Dinan is good, but overpriced.

·
Premium Member
9,482 Posts
Dont go with sum cheapass chip...

def. go with dinan or turner for even better bang

if u dont use 91 octane, i believe adding a chip REQUIRES 91 octane after u install one in, but u shud be on premium anyways just cuz we love our bimmers
:cheers

Rims r geneally the most $$ mod (w/ xception to super/turbo charging) and definetly give ur car "the look" wheteher u r goign for a sporty AC SHNITZER or maybe pimp wheels, wheels r required

1 - 17 of 17 Posts