1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Road & Track
By Andrew Bornhop • Photos by the author
December 2003

We all have fond memories of the last BMW 6 Series coupe, a large and handsome car that still looks as good today as it did back in the 1980s. Well, this coming spring the highly anticipated new 6 arrives, styled in the same vein as the 7 Series sedan and powered by BMW’s 325-bhp 4.4-liter V-8. The car, known as the 645Ci, is packed to its pseudo gill vents with advanced technology. The motoring press from around the world first sampled production versions at BMW’s introduction held on the south coast of Spain, in the town of Malaga. For our First Drive report on the new 6, see the January issue of R&T. In the meantime, enjoy the following snapshots, which I hope will whet your appetite for the car and capture some of the flavor from not-so-sunny Spain. Enjoy, and remember to see our January 2004 issue for our report on BMW’s new 645Ci.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
picture didn't work. i saw an M6 yesterday, stock, and it looked great. i loved the old 6 series

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's working now. I'm about to post a lot of pics. This is a repost of course due to the crash that happen yesterday.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Originally posted by Stacy540i@Nov 21 2003, 05:41 AM
It's working now. I'm about to post a lot of pics. This is a repost of course due to the crash that happen yesterday.
yep, it's bangleized from that angle. but at least when you're on the inside driving the car, you don't notice the hideous lines.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As usual, BMW is intent on keeping the weight distribution of its cars as close as possible to 50/50. The new 6 is close, aided by a large battery in the floor of the large trunk.

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by donutchow@Nov 21 2003, 04:42 AM
yep, it's bangleized from that angle. but at least when you're on the inside driving the car, you don't notice the hideous lines.
Chris Bangle, the American from Wisconsin who is in charge of BMW styling. He has his critics, for sure, but the shapes he approves can never be considered bland.

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most people also agree that the new 6 Series coupe looks far better in person than it does in photos. One thing is for sure: It draws tons of attention wherever it is driven.

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The lineup of BMW 645s in the morning, waiting to be driven by journalists from around the world on the great roads of Andalucia. Most cars were either silver or dark silver.

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The lineup of BMW 645s in the morning, waiting to be driven by journalists from around the world on the great roads of Andalucia. Most cars were either silver or dark silver.

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A rear view of the 645 as it pulls out of the lot. Some critics of the car say this big Bimmer looks like a Chrysler Sebring from behind. Perhaps a Chrysler Sebring on steroids…

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A side view of the car. Note the long hood, sloping roofline and short rear deck. The hood and doors are aluminum, and the front fenders and trunklid are made of plastics.

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The view from inside the 645 cockpit. Note the binnacle over the i-Drive screen. This car is not equipped with the head-up display, an option on cars headed to North America.

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BMW has a long history of building large coupes, and the hand-built 503 is no exception. The aluminum body of this V-8-powered car was designed by Albrecht Graf Goertz.

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can you see the similarity to the 7 Series in the styling of the trunk area? Most people agree that the bi-level treatment works better on the 645 coupe than it does on BMW’s big sedan.

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One of our afternoon drives culminated at the Rock of Gibraltar. Although there wasn’t a cloud in the sky, one shrouded this monolith at the entrance to the Mediterranean.

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We were in Spain, and there had to be some bullfights somewhere nearby. And sure enough, this attractive poster advertised one in Fuengirola, a town near Malaga.

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here’s a quick peek at the new BMW X3, a new “Sport-Activity Vehicle” in BMW-speak. It’s slightly smaller than the X5 and goes on sale in January.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts