BMW Werkz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all i am looking into purchasing a bav. auto perf. chip (the $250 one, but i wont be paying that much). what i was wondering is if this is a good investment? i have heard that an ECU upgrade is one of the best and most inexpensive ways of ugrading your engine however when i checked this chip out online i saw that if i wanted to upgrade my engine later the chip would no longer be optimized, i dont like this. im on a budget but still looking to really boost my engine later. i have a 1993 325is and just curious as to what you guys thought.

thanks

PS: it doesnt make sense that upgrades such as a free flow exhaust or air intake would add HP to a stock ECU while an upgraded ECU they claim needs to be updated with every upgrade... :wtf :wtf :wtf

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
you have to send the chip back to the company to get the upgrades usually.

i dont know much about the bav auto chip to be honest. but chips are the best investment

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my major concern is that ill buy this chip and in a few months want to upgrade my exhause, air intake, etc. and the chip will be obsolete, i also wanna know why you can make such upgrades with a stock ECU but with the Bav. auto ECU they make you replace it all together. and the one im looking at buying is not the upgradeable version.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
the chip optomizes the new parts performance. the stock EDU may realize something is different, but wont really know how to mkae the most of it. A reprogramable chip maximizes what it knows you have and reacts in the same way the OEM chip does to future upgrades not on the chip. I think Bavauto reprograms them free too, but Im not sure.

If I were to get a chip, The Jim Conforti chip is what i would get, as it causes the most gains.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts