BMW Werkz banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My check coolant message came on thursday night just before I drove into my driveway. I didn't try to drive again until Saturday morning when I added coolant but I over-filled it. I tried to start the car but it wouldn't turn over and then it started to click like a dead battery. I used my wifes car to try and jump it but no go . AAA came out and said it was definitely a battery issue, he charged it and it started he said leave it running for about 20 mins then replace the battery but it cutoff 10 mins after he left. I went and got a new battery installed it and it started right up, but 20 mins later it just cutoff. I needed gas however so I added 2 gals from a gas can. It still will not start but it doesn't make a clicking noise it sounds like it wants to start but just can't. Is this an alternator problem or just 530i issue that typically happens? I don't have a charger to try and jump it again and I don't know where to begin?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No red battery light on while running

Hey Darkhorse, there was no red battery light on while I got the Bimmer going with the new battery but I can't explain why it would just cut off again like it did before other than it needed gas but I filled the tank with 2 gallons and it cranks, the lights don't dim but it will not turn over.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
If you have a volt meter, check battery voltage. If you are reading anything below 11.4volts... then there's your problem. ;) (bimmers your series 2000 and over, need at least 11.4Volts for the electrics to work right. relays, injectors, modules, etc...)

In your case, your new battery either is not accepting a charge; or the alternator has failed.

with engine running, the voltmeter should be reading 13.5 volts or higher at the battery ;)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
If you have a volt meter, check battery voltage. If you are reading anything below 11.4volts... then there's your problem. ;) your new battery either is not accepting a charge; or the alternator has failed.

with engine running, the voltmeter should be reading 13.5 volts or higher at the battery ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.