BMW Werkz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last month or so I've noticed my engine knocking shaking a little more then usual and sometimes when I step on the gas in the morning it hesitates a little in 1st...anyone had anything similiar? I only put premium gas in and have tried several brands, could it be the fuel pump?

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
try finishing off this tank of gas and then go get the highest octane you can, then try some injector cleaner. it sounds like you might have to clean out the injectors. permitting how hard you drive that is, usually using high octane and driving with some "spirit" should be more than adequate to keep carbon deposits to a minimum. hesitation can be cause by lots of things, from bad tank of fuel to having a dirty air filter. do some more investigating and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Do you put Arco or any other cheap brand name gasoline? Arco mixes more alcohol in the gasoline and as a result of that is bad for your engine. That is why arco is cheaper. THey claim to have cleantech, safe for the environment. Yes its true but is not good to your engine because of the more alcohol they put in their gas. :nono So only pump 91 from Shell, Chevron, Mobil & 76. I recommend Shell. :welcome

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Also, mixing brands and/or octanes of gas in one tank (i.e. half a tank of Shell 91 and half a tank of Amoco 91) is not all that good either. Do as Furious and BeemerMan suggested. However, you may also want to consider replacing the fule filter as it may be clogged with deposits etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by BeemerMan@Oct 8 2003, 01:08 AM
Do you put Arco or any other cheap brand name gasoline? Arco mixes more alcohol in the gasoline and as a result of that is bad for your engine. That is why arco is cheaper. THey claim to have cleantech, safe for the environment. Yes its true but is not good to your engine because of the more alcohol they put in their gas. :nono So only pump 91 from Shell, Chevron, Mobil & 76. I recommend Shell. :welcome
I've always used Chevron, but I found out from my mechanic that he was also having the same pinging problem and he always bought gas from chevron. my last tank was 76, and I got shell before that (both 91 oct.) I'll try another tank of 76 so I'm not mixing and add some injector cleaner to it next time. :wave

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I had bad gas once. The wife made me sleep outside.

·
Registered
114 Posts
lol! umm how long does the stock fuel filter last, because i bought my 325i used with 160k miles on it, And it runs PERFECT. I just wanna keep it running, so what parts do yuoguys suggest that i put into it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the maual says you're supposed to replace them at the 90k service. At 110K my rear one went bad (car wouldn't start), but i didn't change the front one yet...

·
Registered
284 Posts
Originally posted by Beemin503@Oct 7 2003, 09:44 PM
The last month or so I've noticed my engine knocking shaking a little more then usual and sometimes when I step on the gas in the morning it hesitates a little in 1st...anyone had anything similiar? I only put premium gas in and have tried several brands, could it be the fuel pump?
If your fuel pump was bad, you'd be getting a hesitation or miss fire at higher engine speeds -- not a knocking. When was last time you changed your spark plugs and what type did you use?

-Brian

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
all gas is relatively the same. the united states has standards set.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts