BMW Werkz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
42, The meaning of life
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stumbled across this on youtube
Just wondering if anyone has done this, or has any apprehension about doing this?
I thought there was supposed to be some back pressure to avoid the exhaust valve burning out, or doesn't the rear muffler play a role in this?
It does seem to give the car a better note, but how noisey would it be?

·
Millions of them.
14,879 Posts
No the muffler plays no part in that. If you unbolted the exhaust right at the heads (manifolds and all) you might burn a valve as a result ... as long as you got the manifolds and a couple feet of pipe after that, you're fine.

That said, on a e38? Ruins the car for me. It's supposed to be a cruiser luxo-barge (and it's one of the best there ever was), not a Honda Civic driven by a 16 year old pimply-faced kid.

·
42, The meaning of life
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a very quiet car inside and out, almost too quiet if you know what I mean.

·
Millions of them.
14,879 Posts
Yeah but it was meant to be that way. :dunno I don't know, but it's not a car I'd ever change the exhaust on.

I mean I like a loud car as much as the next guy, but I probably wont ever touch the exhaust on my 318 either ... most of my driving is highway and with how short the gears are I think I'd go crazy after two days.

·
42, The meaning of life
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't let that worry you, I went crazy years ago. Now its just a matter of maintaining the insanity. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts