BMW Werkz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my freind had a 98 m3 and he was driving on the parkway goin 60mph and smelt something then felt heat pulled over. flames coming from under the car. seemed the cat was on fire. the tow truck guy said this is common on the e36. found out that the cat cloged up and got so hot set the underbody onfire. long story short the car was totaled. by the time fire trucks came the whole dash board melted. i was just curious if you guys ever heard this before happing to a e36? heres a pic.
cheers,
Jim

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
ive never heard about this type of happening. just makes me want to get the aa tuning track pipe even more! too bad its for track use only

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I think i'll be getting a high flow cat to put on my 36. all I can say is dauuum, that musta sucked.

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
ouch that really sucks. and guys dont worry its not a common thing on our cars, i dont know about you but most tow-truck drivers dont know much about a specific car unless they have owned or consistantly picking the same ones up. (i know because i have a few buddies that drive towtrucks and have picked up a few bimmers and still dont know shit) anyways the cats on our cars are quite good , its rare to have them fail or go faulty in any way. (mind you when they do its expensive) if this was the case you would have a code or light come on telling you so. i mean most times you might replace the O2 sensor 3 times before your cat would ever go. however anything can happen as the picture above tells

·
Registered
20 Posts
dude! the same thing happened to mine! i thought it was the curse laid on my family by the gypsies! i had a 97 328 the fire happenedunder the exact same circumstances, however the entire car was engulfed not just the dash, thanks mostly to the inept fire dept. that responded. it all worked out though, i paid 12,500 originally and the insurance co gave me 17,000! scored! but it was still heart wrenching watching my baby burn

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
holy crap that is insane. car just catching on fire from the cats. at least no one was injured. too bad your buddy got a mercedes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts