BMW Werkz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 318ti and I believe the manual says 89 ocatane fuel...
Most of you here have a lot more time with your rides then I do and wanted to double check to see if 89 ocatane is fine.
I know there's another tread regarding bad gas so I will try and stick to the major boys for that.
Thanks
Ken

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
nearly all BMWs should use 91 or a higher grade of octane, i think the only ones that are fine using 89 are cars like the 2002 and the 2800csi etc etc.

·
Registered
162 Posts
i'm pretty sure you can use 89 and the computer senses it. result: "less performance" but no knock. the general rule is use the lowest grade that doesn't make your engine knock, period.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
lol putting in 87 or "cheapshit" as i call it wont hurt. And as long as there is no major knock you dont gain measurable performance by going up in octane.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I wouldnt use it, but thats just me.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
my friend had a 92 318is and he still had the sticker from the dealer that said 91 octane recommended under the fuel gauge. your knock sensors should keep it from doing any harm for a while but not for good

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys, I just took my first long trip in my 318ti (about 350 miles). My CD changer doesn't work and I was running out of radio stations I wanted to listen to, so I popped in the Cassette Tape that came with the car (the one that goes over the various features and options). Guess what, on that tape they say be sure and used gas that is rated 89 Octane!!
I'm sure it doesn't hurt to go higher but not sure if it really buys me anything.
I had seen the 89 on the inside of the door jam but I didn't see the words octane along side of it, so I was skeptical. But the tape clearly says use 89 Octane (or higher).

Ken

·
Registered
878 Posts
right, but octane has do to with oxygen content right? or something like that....anyway, the higher the octane the better efficiency combustion you get (which is why jet fuel is insane octane). that's what i've heard at least....

·
Registered
20 Posts
My gas cap says 89 octane on it. Jet fuel is 100 octane. I guess I'll just go with 87 octane and lots of nitro and I'll be fine (lol)!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts