BMW Werkz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My alternator is dead. Car: 1996 318i 4cyl 1.9L, power windows, power doors, rear defroster,sunroof,A/C.

My current alternator is a Bosch 90Amp. Rebuilt alternators I found online are 70Amp or 80Amp. Bosch representative tells me the factory specs is an 80Amp.

Which one to go with? Just found the best deal on 70Amp, at http://autoexpress.safeshopper.com/222/240.htm?276 - would it have enough juice? My A/C runs all the time, so is the stereo, and I occasionally play with door locks :D

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
go with 80 amp

·
Registered
4,708 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as the brand is concerned - anyone heard of Duralast or Worldwide? Both carry a lifetime warranty, as opposed to Bosch rebuilt with 1 year wty. Anyone replaced their alternator with a different brand?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh well... I got the answer the hard way. After spending an hour replacing the busted alternator with a new one from Duralast, I figured that (1) the old malfunctioning alternator had destroyed my brand new battery, which had to be raplaced, and (2) they sold me a deffective alternator!!! This one outputs 12.5 volts at the terminal, when A/C and headlights are on - waaay lower than 13.7V should be (on my 318i).

:idea2

Lessons learned:
1) There is a free alternator testing machine at Discount Auto Parts, which tells you whether your diodes are gone, or something else.
2) ALWAYS go with the BOSCH-rebuilt alternators. It's cheaper in the long run.

P.S.: While removing the stock air box, I discovered that it has a lining - sort of like another air filter - on the bottom, top and sides of the inside of the airbox. Where would I get a replacement for it, and what's the proper name?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts