BMW Werkz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car was a wrecker and I need to know how to get the security system working in it. Do I have to take it to BMW and have it programmed in or what? Do I have to take it to BMW to get my keyless entry working? I have to buy a new key cause the master key was gone when i got it. Can the keyless entry be programmed myself or is it somethin only BMW can do?

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
For work on the factory alarm you will have to go to the dealer. Since you will have to purchase a new key anyway, it should be programmed when you pick it up.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have any idea what it costs to have a dealer do it? Do you know where and what the cost of a new key and key fob? Thanks

·
Registered
448 Posts
Depends on what kind/year car you have. You may be able to do it yourself. For example, my 94 325i alarm is part of the keyless entry system and is not in the key, but on the key fob/chain. Also, this was an option on these cars, and therefore may not be on your car. If you have this kind of system, you need to take the chip out of the key, place it into the alarm main box (behind the glove box) and hit a button to program it. If you have an alarm system, but no key fob thing, you can buy it on ebay for a fraction of what the dealer is asking. If it's not an E36...then this was just an interesting story for you to read!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts