BMW Werkz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Ich bin der Modifikator
3,323 Posts
The charge light does not come on when key is in position 1.

NOTE-
If the warning light does not come on, repair any wiring or bulb faults before continuing to check the charging system!

Maybe the bulb is out which completes the circuit to D+........if not, recheck your wiring......

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had to disconnect the negative cable for the alarm to reset.The alarm seems to be working.When I turn my key to position 1,the charge light does not come on.It says to check for bad wiring or a bulb.Is there a starter relay somewhere?

·
Ich bin der Modifikator
3,323 Posts
I had to disconnect the negative cable for the alarm to reset.The alarm seems to be working.When I turn my key to position 1,the charge light does not come on.It says to check for bad wiring or a bulb.Is there a starter relay somewhere?
I think you have start looking in that area, meaning the bulb & the wiring.......there is nothing wrong related with the starter........because, when you jump start your car, it starts.......that is telling me that when you jump start it @ the engine compartment position, you are bypassing the issue, with either the charge warning light bulb that supplies 12 volts to D+ on the alternator or the wiring issue is being bypassed.....

Listen, you had the a the alternator out, there are 3 wires in the back, are you sure they are on the correct terminals.......I would double check that 1st, if that checks out Ok.......then I would remove the gauge cluster & check the bulb......

link on removing gauge cluster:

DIY: Installing Silver Gauge Cluster Rings on E36 - United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum

jb :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.