BMW Werkz banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I’ve got constant airbag warning after replacing the complete interior of my 530i 2002 by an m5 interior. So far spent 300$ to fix it but without success. Now I am thinking to take it to the local dealer but wondering if the dealer can have advanced tools to localize the exact problem without wasting more money unnecessarily.

Any ideas on this?

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
I presume you have reset it ? and it then comes back on ?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I presume you have reset it ? and it then comes back on ?
Yes you are absolutely right

Before replacing the interior no light was there. I've got the interior from m5 with an accident & driver airbag is out ..

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
When you say driver airbag is out do you mean there's not one in there??

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
So your using the steering wheel from the accident M5 and you have installed a new air bag and the light still comes on after you have reset it via diagnostics??

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
When you installed the steering wheel/airbag was the battery terminal unplugged? I ask this because I know unplugging the airbag with the battery still connected to the car will make the SRS system go nuts. I'm also wondering if the seatbelt tensioner could cause this issue as well. If the interior came from a wrecked M5 and the airbag deployed on that car it is possible that the sensors in the seat are setting the SRS system off as well.

·
Registered
82 Posts
front seatbelt tensioner problem can cause the airbag light to illuminate, you sure you made all the connections under the seats? , a bmw diagnostic computer will tell you what the problem is... well it did on mine anyway.....

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
When you installed the steering wheel/airbag was the battery terminal unplugged? I ask this because I know unplugging the airbag with the battery still connected to the car will make the SRS system go nuts. I'm also wondering if the seatbelt tensioner could cause this issue as well. If the interior came from a wrecked M5 and the airbag deployed on that car it is possible that the sensors in the seat are setting the SRS system off as well.
Sorry for late response …

The battery terminal was unplugged during the installation.

Does the seatbelt tensioner has any sensor? Actually I have installed the seatbelts of the wrecked m5 to match the color of the interior ....

The seat sensors have been checked & found ok

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
If you have used the tensioner from the accident car then I would guess its been activated so a new one will be required....

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One more thing, the diagnostic computer is showing the following two errors:

Sensor side airbag left
Sensor side airbag right.

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
How many airbags on one side?, I would have thought these are the door ones maybe, are you using the original airbags from your car or the donor car?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How many airbags on one side?, I would have thought these are the door ones maybe, are you using the original airbags from your car or the donor car?
I am using the original Airbags not the donor car & I have standard 10 airbags total on the car. All the airbags are the original ones

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still I can not realize how the belt tensioner can trigger the airbag light when there is no sensor attached to the tensioner!! Can anyone provide me more clarification on this?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts