BMW Werkz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love to add accessories but finding a good place for a switch in my 2011 E93 is a challenge. I found a switch panel that is used for stock accessories but it is not good for my needs. I bought the correct bezel and the switches factory switches, then gutted the switch so I could use them to operate my own needs. I designed a new electronics board, added miniature on off buttons, a resistor and tiny LED lights to let me see through the stock location that the switch is off or on.

I then ran each switch to a very small relay board (6 small relays) that my switches power, then from there over to a regular size relay/fuse box I made up. This way, the small board I made can activate higher power relays for accessories. I am mounting the small relays under the steering wheel lower panel, then feed the small gauge wires out to my engine compartment where I will mount the larger relay box.

The relays all have diodes to prevent problems with the canbus system. I can now run up to 40 amps per relay to power up accessories and if anything takes more I can add a second high power relay if need be.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I got the system installed this last weekend and happy to say it works great. I now have 6 accessory switches that use the stock buttons below the radio. The diode color matches the orange color of my dash lights perfectly and there is no delay between pushing the button and powering the accessory lines.

My first project is to install my front vision camera behind the lower grill so I can see curbs. I have a Garmin GPS that that has the wireless rear view camera but since I installed a backup camera I can now use this for the front camera.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well I got the system installed this last weekend and happy to say it works great. I now have 6 accessory switches that use the stock buttons below the radio. The diode color matches the orange color of my dash lights perfectly and there is no delay between pushing the button and powering the accessory lines.

My first project is to install my front vision camera behind the lower grill so I can see curbs. I have a Garmin GPS that that has the wireless rear view camera but since I installed a backup camera I can now use this for the front camera.
I installed my front vision camera last weekend and it works great. I have dedicated one of my spare switches (6 in total) to run the power for the camera. When parking I hit the switch and can watch to be sure how close to obstacles. I can now park my Bimmer within 2 inches of my garage door to save space in my driveway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts