BMW Werkz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2003 BMW 330i (w/o navigation system). It's got the standard Harmon-Kardon "Business CD" stereo and is pre-wired for a CD changer. I believe I should be able to connect any A/V device to the wiring harness for the CD changer in the trunk.

But I have no idea which wire to connect to or where to get an adaptor that would let me connect a portable MP3/CD player (standard 1/8" headphone and "line out" jacks) to the harness.

Can anyone confirm that this is possible, where to get the right adaptor, and which wire I connect it to?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
http://www.mattmcnulty.com/325xi/DIY/aux_input.html

Time involved: 1.5 - 2 hours

Tools Required:

* Phillips head screwdriver
* Putty knife (or similar - to remove interior trim)
* Power Drill
* Needle-nose pliers (optional, for removing c-clip)
* 5/16", 1/8", 3/8" drill bits (or, according to BMW, 3mm and 8mm bits)
* Razor Blade (to clean up drilled holes)
* BMW Aux Input Adapter for MY2003 or later cars (note: not yet available in the U.S.)
o Part number w/o Nav: 65 12 0 153 501
o Part number w/ Nav: 65 12 0 153 503 (note: instructions here are for non-nav cars, but everything is pretty similar. You will have a different and somewhat tricky procedure to pull the radio, and the harnesses won't quite match)

Disclaimer:
I am not a certified mechanic, do not work for BMW, have received no training from BMW, and you follow these instructions at your own risk. There are places where my instructions differ from those published by BMW for this purpose. In such instances, I am merely relating the procedure I followed, which is usually different for no other reason than there were no available BMW instructions when I went through this. I have marked such steps. Use these steps as a guide, but know there are other ways out there. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts