BMW Werkz banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
It comes down to why it received the 'salvage' title, which means that the cost to repair the car exceeded the worth of the car. A salvage title car cannot be driven legally on the road and no insurance company will cover a salvage titled car. So, depending on what caused the condition, it could cost you a lot of money, time and effort to 'fix' it (especially if it was 'flooded' as water can do some serious long term and hard to find damage). You will need to have the title rebuilt which requires you to fix whatever is wrong with the car and have it pass your States' department of motor vehicle level III inspection, which is quite thorough. Pay for the new Rebuilt Title, taxes and fees. Then you have a car that can be legally driven on the road. However, when it comes to insurance coverage, it depends on a case by case basis. Most will only cover Liability. More than likely it will cost more as there is a greater likelihood that something is wrong with the car (in the insurance company's eye) and thus a greater chance of being involved in an accident. So it comes down to how bad you want it and how much time/money you want to spend getting it back to an acceptable state. It is a beautiful car based on the photos, and if it already had a rebuilt title, not a bad price. Those are my .02 cents.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good on you to do the due diligence. Yeah, the bent frame is a tough one to overcome, as everything is so tightly fitted that any deviation could cause premature wear on so many components. That's too bad, as it is a very sweet ride. Cosmetically, the car looks amazing. But, my concern is the level of quality that was put into its repair, since they are selling it for $10k less than what the estimated repair would've cost, and they need to make money from the sale (so my worry is that they skimped on important and costly replacements). Thanks for sharing the report you received on it. Fascinating to read the history of the sale post accident.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts