BMW Werkz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. I drive a late 98 540i. The DSC light comes on after driving a few meters. I find that the ABS is still functional as I tested this by braking hard on a wet surface. I say this as I understand that the ABS and DSC share the wheel speed sensors.
Could this problem still be a faulty sensor? Is there a DSC control module that can be checked? I am an electronics tech, and will apreciate any technical info on this system.

· Premium Member
1,706 Posts
I found this over at M5Board.com and it was written by andy777. Read thread here.

anndy777 said:
Ok try getting into the car and push the dsc button in, turn the key but don't start the car, keep the button held in for ten second. this will reset the abs sensors. Then start the car and go for a quick drive. Turn the car off and then back on and see if the light goes off. If it does not then you have a problem with the dsc. Check the fuse for the abs, if thats working then you a bad abs sensor or worse a faulty abs control unit.
He wrote pretty much exactly what I was thinking so I'd give this a shot first.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I have checked the relavent fuses as well as reset the DSC by holding in the button for 10 seconds, but there was no difference.

Again, I have braked hard from a high speed and can confirm that the ABS is working. Therefore, I feel that the problem must be specifically on the DSC circuit.

Is there a DSC module and where would it be located?

· Help from over the pond
3,230 Posts
There is a DSC......How do I explain this????, Ok its at the bottom of the steering column,its basically a doughnut shaped device and is fitted around the column, you should be able to locate it as there is wiring present, these do go but on rare occasions, although Ive heard of two going in the last month on two 750i's,.....Just a shot in the dark but you never know...

· Registered
458 Posts
Had the same problem with my Mercedes. All ABS, ESP & flat tire indicator were inoperative most of the time & this indicator (!) was on. Found to be the steering wheel sensor at the bottom of the steering column & replaced by the dealer under the warranty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.